Tracking Weight

Happy Monday everyone!

I have been on this journey since October. When I first started this, I knew the road would be long and hard....but I thought the starting would be the hardest part, but instead its after the first 60+ lbs has come off have I really found how hard it has become.

the majority of my weight loss was during a very cold Wisconsin Winter. Normally one would think winter would be the hardest time to lose (even more so when you have 6 foot snow banks 10 feet from your front door) but for me it was easy. Made a promise to never once use the snow blower and shoveled all the snow, walked every lunch on days it wasn't windchill warnings or blinding snow storms - joined a gym for the other days.

Then summer came and with it the desire to be out and about more. Here I thought I would be kicking the fat right out the door....but instead its just been the opposite. Sure I am out and about and enjoying myself, but the routine has produced nothing more than maintenance. Weekends are filled with lots of food and drink...the week is filled with 1800 calorie days to get back to where I was the day before the weekend started. This has been going on for a few months now, and while I always get back down to my low weight, it seems to be a trend I am having a hard time getting over. More of a mental plateau I guess.

Anyway, this morning, I jumped on the scale after a long week of mishaps (car repairs and running out on lunch to check on) plus this last weekend was a long one on account of our 13th anniversary weekend (with no kids) up in Door County (lots of cherries, wine, BBQ, and fish boils!), only to find myself up 13 or so lbs from 11th of july. I have had times like this before where I go 3 days and drop it all through the normal methods and by Friday ill be back below my last low.

One thing I have never ever ever ever done is tracked my Gains - and only post losses. Is this wrong for me to do? Part of me wants to just stick to what I have done, but I really think its time for me to take responsibility and just take the good with the bad and go forward with tracking it all!

Sorry for the rambling...I know its not much of a question, but any insight would be great! Anyone else who has been on here for 300+ days got any tips for these kind of phases?

Thanks!

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    I track it all. Every slip up I have is inputted. I feel that if I don't track it, I'm just lying to myself. Over the last 2 weeks I gained 5lbs back. Don't be discouraged, just track is normally and use it as motivation to get back down to where you want to be.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    If you can handle it mentally, consider weighing daily and tracking it. I use an android app called Libra but there are a lot of others out there. A low day motivates me to keep going and a high day motivates to do better.

You will see trends that you can explain and lots of stuff that you can't! Don't let them bother you.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    I try and stay positive. In my opinion that means only tracking the loss. Obviously, when I have fell off the healthy lifestyle (which I have done for sure) I change my weight to what is and start over- by tracking losses.

I understand your point.

I dont think I would worry about the gains...Just stay accountable in your mind you know where you started. Focus on Success has been what works for me. I noticed myself this weekend feeling pitty for myself...and it reflected on my motivation this morning. I didnt want to get up and run at 5am...but i forced myself. The whole time I was such a baby abouit my workout...until something came over me and I said...Focus...Positive thoughts started running through my head and my run became easier... I noted this to myself- so seeing this post makes me think I should share my story- even if it isnt profound.

Positive thinking has been working for me. I hope it works for you too.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I use Happy Scale on my iPhone to track my weight as well as MFP. It gives a trend over a week, month, 90 days etc. It means I weigh and log daily, but it's easier to keep my eye on the trend rather than the day-to-day movement.

I also put it into Excel, which is overkill I guess, but I like the data.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    I use Happy Scale on my iPhone to track my weight as well as MFP. It gives a trend over a week, month, 90 days etc. It means I weigh and log daily, but it's easier to keep my eye on the trend rather than the day-to-day movement.

I also put it into Excel, which is overkill I guess, but I like the data.

I am liking the idea of tracking independently of MFP - thanks for ideas peeps!