help

Options
hi all, back on it after a 3 week holiday where i managed to put on 10 pounds. back on it yesterday and going it alone, well with myfitness pal, after 6 months with a nutritionalist. all help appreciated. am attempting carb cycling - anyone tried it - is it worthwhile????

Replies

• Deona143
    Deona143 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There are some really good info on carbs in other threads. It works for most people if you want results quick but they say it's really a reduction in calories when u carb cycle so beware of gaining weight back if u choose to get back on carbs after u lose the weight. I suggest just tracking everything and stay active. Hopefully someone will post more info for you.
  • steven402014
    Options
    thanks, have tried the zero carbs and exactly what you described happened - i put it all on as soon as i came off it - hopefully the carb cycling will help. will update my progress for info.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hello!

WHOA - it's okay! Really ... :)

It's always difficult to maintain when you're on a holiday away from a routine but it's to be expected on a holiday no?

Instead of trying to find a 'quick fix' and adopting a eating plan that most people are unable to realistically maintain in the long run, I'd agree with Corrick1 & just track your daily intake and see where that calories are taking you.

I have never been one to go carb free because honestly I'm half Chinese / half Mongolian, carbs is in my DNA. LOL However, what I have been able to do is to reduce the amount of carbs & sugar I regularly intake. It was just easier for me to to make small changes to what I was eating by reading LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of labels then pick the items with less carb & sugar.

For example, many 'Fat Free' labeled items are oddly heavier on the carbs & sugar. And as you read more food labels, you will see a pattern that high carb foods alot of times goes hand-in-hand with high sugar.

Example Below:
    https://www.hiddenvalley.com/products/bottled-dressings/light-fat-free-and-organic/original-ranch-fat-free/#nutri-facts
    FAT FREE
    30 Calories per 2 tbsp (32 g)
    6g Carbs
    3g Sugars

http://www.newmansown.com/products/newmans-own-ranch-dressing/
    Regular
    150 Calories per 2 tbsp (30 g)
    2g Carbs
    1g Sugar

You can see that even if you drown your salad in 4 tbsp of the regular dressing it's still less carbs & sugar than the fat free option (... but please don't do that - lol).

I'm not a nutritionist by any means so I have NO idea how the extra calories would impact weight but if you are trying to lower your carb intake I think instead of cutting out an entire food group just look for lower carb alternatives.

Sorry it's not a quick process but in the long run I think you would be eating healthier and probably will see a longer desired weight impact.

Good luck!