I've gained 46 pounds in 12 days!

2»

Replies

• I have no issues and I'm passing fluids fine. They checked for protein in my urine and didn't find anything.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    I promise this is real. I dont know why someone would make up something like this...

A couple people have posted some possibilities, the only other one I'll mention quickly is it's possible your thyroid has completely shutdown. This is probably less likely, but I know my mother put on a ton of weight in a very short period of time when her's gave out. I don't think 46 lbs though.
  • Rabid_Hamster
    Rabid_Hamster Posts: 338 Member
    My biggest concern is for your heart and kidneys, not the lap band..

I'd go to another ER... soon

Yes, I was thinking kidneys as well.

Don't even read anymore responses, go to the ER right now.

And have them speak to your doctor to verify the weight measurements....
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    I have no issues and I'm passing fluids fine. They checked for protein in my urine and didn't find anything.

Seriously though, stop responding and head to the ER.

Do not let them discharge you without checking everything possible.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Even competitive eaters and body builders can't put on the much weight that fast, its water retention but you need to find out why. I would lose the lap band if I weer you.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    I put on ten pounds in three hours and it ended up being a fairly serious medical issue. Find a Dr/Er that will see you ASAP.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Hope everything goes well for her. Unfortunately MFP is fill with a bunch of trolls.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Praying for your speedy recovery. Listen to your own self first and don't back down from the doctors, they DON'T know everything (they are human too).

Meg
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    If this is a real person with a real problem, I wish you well. I hope the problem is diagnosed and cured before any permanent damage to your body.

This story gives pause about getting lap band surgery.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Just in to say if you've had lap band surgery, it's on your medical records, and there's no way an ER doc "wouldn't believe you" about extreme, sudden weight gain or loss. That's something they look out for in lap band patients, so unless you went in with a false name and false identifiers to get out of paying or something, they would have admitted you and called your GP.

That said, I'm just going to echo the above posters and say get in, right now. Screw the weight, you need to be concerned for your internal organs.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    For what it's worth I put on 35 lbs of water weight following open heart surgery. It was very possible and even expected in my case. It also almost all came off in two weeks as my body eliminated it at two pounds and more a day.

But it happening with no root cause like that? DOCTOR, NOW.

[edit: typing coherent sentences is hard]
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Egads.

I hope you get it sorted and let us know when you do.

I'm surprised they're blowing off the weight gain, but I suppose they've ran all of the tests they know to run for potentially bad things for which sudden weight gain would be a symptom.
  • So I ended up going to a PCP and they told me that I more then likely malnourished. So that and the rapid weight loss put my body and shock. They still are not clear on what is causing the swelling but once that is figured out they said the weight will come off as quick as I put it on.

Such a relief having someone believe me and give me some type of answer!=)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,035 Member
    Good to hear as well! I hope that's the correct diagnosis... be sure to keep an eye on it if it starts to go up instead of down as they said.

Good luck with recovery!
  • Are you coughing when you lay down? Look up pitted edema. I had this same problem. Forty pound weight gain, seemed like in two weeks. My diagnoses was congestive heart failure. When your heart is not working properly then it slows down all your other organs. Your body can not expel excessive water. I now take lasix (water pills). Go to the doctor again and find out