THE RIGHT SHOES

mccorml
mccorml Posts: 622 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
okay ive been doing insanity for 3 weeks now and i almost feel like quitting my endurance has shot up it takes me alot longer to start breathing all hardcore but im sore so bad shooting pains in my ankle and my booty should i switch shoes im using a cheap pair of new balance running/clunk whatever shoes would changing the shoe possibly help with this pain?!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Get properly fitted @ a store with trained employees. Personally I think New Balance are the best! But you have to get the proper fir otherwise it doesn't matter how good the shoe is you're going to be in pain.
  • mccorml
    well it says cross trainers are the best
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    I agree with the previous poster. See if there is an independent running shoe store or a Fleet Feet near you. They will measure you (most people buy the same size running shoe as their street shoe which is usually too small) they will also put you on a treadmill or see how your run in the parking lot. When you go, wear your current running/exercise shoe so they can see how it is wearing on the sole. Also wear the socks you normally wear. Many times people wear socks that cause more problems than the shoe.....

Good luck
  • eillamarie
    A GOOD shoe store will measure the width and length of your feet, have you stand so they can see how your arch is (high, low, average), if you pronate or supinate (roll in or out), and will look @ the insoles of your old shoes to see where you apply the most pressure. If the store doesn't do this for you, do not buy what they are trying to sell you! Find somewhere that will fit you PROPERLY!!

And I agree with the poster above me: bring the shoes you've been working out in and the same type of socks you usually wear. Socks affect the fit of any shoe.

I learned this from when I worked in an orthopedic shoe store, so this information is accurate.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I got three weeks into Insanity before I had to stop too. Shooting pains from the inside of my foot up my ankle. I went to the foot doc and it was Achilles tendonitis, a classic over use injury. He said he sees this all the time from those of us who jump into crazy plyometrics or boot camp style workouts. He said STRETCHING is the most important thing when it comes to these types of injuries. Obviously, I don't know if this is what you have, but you should see somebody to make sure it's not something more serious. He said stress fractures are common too. (Doesn't it seem weird that for the amount of jumping involved in Insanity they hardly stretch the calves/Achilles?)

On a related note, I asked him if I was wearing the wrong shoes. He said that a lot of times while shoes support the foot they can actually do damage. They don't let the foot and ankle muscles get stronger and puts more stress on the tendons. He said working up to barefoot exercise is actually the best thing there is. However, while you are injured/recovering it is even MORE important that you have awesome shoes. I ended up needing orthotic inserts in my running shoes, which totally helped.
  • mccorml
    yah i was doing it barefoot it started hurting switched to shoes and it was good again and now my shoes hurt!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    yah i was doing it barefoot it started hurting switched to shoes and it was good again and now my shoes hurt!

Lol, that is EXACTLY what I did. Then I went to a specialty running store and got fitted for new shoes. THEN when the new shoes hurt I thought I was because I was wearing running shoes and not training shoes! The doc, said the shoe didn't matter one bit. The problem is that we always wear shoes no matter what, so that when we go to start crazy exercising with or without shoes, it's to much for our poor underdeveloped feet and lower legs to handle. He said to first let it heal and do LOTS of stretching, (UGH! 3 weeks!) then workout with shoes most of the time, then gradually workout w/o shoes. Like once a week, then twice a week, etc. You have to build up your strength just like anything else. If you google "barefoot running" you'll find all kinds of supporting info, even though we aren't really talking about running. This, of course, is only if you aren't otherwise injured. If you can, go to the doc and see what they say. You'll probably want a specific schedule to recover by, oh, and maybe a diagnosis. Not just some advice from some crazy housewife :laugh: I hope you're ok :smile:
  • AmberBelandria
    AmberBelandria Posts: 78 Member
    I started doing P90x in shoes. I exercise at home. My knees were hurting so I tried working out without shoes. I find it so much easier and my knees don't hurt quite as bad. I perfer to exercise not wearing shoes. I can perform the exercise better because I can actually feel my foot placement.
  • Nothing is better at supporting and balancing you than your own feet. Check out Vibram 5 Fingers. They are like a glove for your foot with a sole to protect you from cuts and scrapes.

You can read and awesome review and find some really great nutritional information at

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vibram-fivefingers/
  • mccorml
    i have bad arches so my calves burn like hell without shoes
  • eillamarie

If your shoes were working for a while it's either they don't fit quite right or you've already worn them out because they were cheap!
  • eillamarie
    i have bad arches so my calves burn like hell without shoes

Sounds like you need custom fit orthotics! I've had them for years & I swear by them. Ppl with "normal" arches can get away with the stuff they sell in stores, like Dr. Scholls, but anybody with high or low arches need custom ones! And custom doesn't mean the new kiosk thing they have in some drug stores.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...running shoes are NOT designed for in-home cardio programs like Insanity. With Insanity, there are a lot of moves that require lateral stability and landing on your ball of your foot. A running shoe is designed to support the motion of running...landing on the heel and then rolling forward to the toe. They don't contain sufficient padding in the forefoot, nor do they include enough lateral stability to support those moves in Insanity.

You need a good cross-training shoe with padding up front and lateral stability. Running shoes are for running.
This discussion has been closed.