Need advice to bulk up

2»

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member

If the tricep is 2/3 of my arm. Why wouldn't I do more dips instead of chin up? In my, chin up works out the back, no?
    He said "if" bicep training was your "thing".
    Chin ups are more bicep, pull ups are more back, they both hit both.
    You should really find a compound program to stick with. You can add whatever accessories you want a couple times a week, after your main lifts.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member

If the tricep is 2/3 of my arm. Why wouldn't I do more dips instead of chin up? In my, chin up works out the back, no?
    You should really find a compound program to stick with. You can add whatever accessories you want a couple times a week, after your main lifts.

Yup Exactly!

Throw Dips in with your Chest day.
    Throw chin ups and pulls up with your Back day.
    After your main lifts.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    If you move into more compound lifts and follow something that's already pre-built like Starting Strength, StrongLifts, or a couple that i mentioned earlier then there is no Chest day or Leg day. First, you need to honestly answer the question. Am I a beginner? If yes, then you have no business trying to create a program, use what's there.

There's a lot you can do. Even with something as simple as StrongLifts. You can easily superset your bench press sets with chin-ups. You can super set your rows or DL's with dips for a little extra volume. Don't focus on the minutia, focus on what makes you strong across the board.

I think somebody touched on this earlier but chin-ups definitely engage the biceps, especially if you focus on squeezing them at the top. An EMF study was done a few years back and it found that chin-ups caused a greater peak bicep contraction than EZ bar or barbell curls. Chin-ups have tons of training economy and benefit.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member

Yup Exactly!

Throw Dips in with your Chest day.
    Throw chin ups and pulls up with your Back day.
    After your main lifts.

Thanks, i will follow your advice. I will replace arm curls with dips and pull up.

Any recommendations for my free weight session? Should i add something like kick back?
  • _benjammin

Any recommendations for my free weight session? Should i add something like kick back?
    Weighted dips.
    You are thinking too much. Just find a program/routine and quit trying to make something up.
    See my tricep profile pic? That's after 10 months of not doing one single tricep exercise. Bench and overhead press a couple times a week, that's it. StrongLifts 5x5 and then MADCOW.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member

Weighted dips.
    You are thinking too much. Just find a program/routine and quit trying to make something up.
    See my tricep profile pic? That's after 10 months of not doing one single tricep exercise. Bench and overhead press a couple times a week, that's it. StrongLifts 5x5 and then MADCOW.

There is a thread full of people giving him basically the same advice and his response... "should I add Kick-Backs?" Ugh... Either take the advice that's been given and move on or just admit that you don't really want advice and move on.
  • _benjammin
    ...move on...
    I'm taking your advice.