Muscle weighing more then fat

Options
So many people think muscle weighs more then fat. A pound of lead and a pound of feathers each weigh a pound. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle each weigh a pound. Here is an article that explains it quite simply. :smile:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=8311&sc=128

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It's a simple concept. Muscle tissue is denser than fat tissue. Therefore 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Correct.....BUT, what people mean when they say "muscle weighs more than fat" is that if you had the same volume of each, muscle and fat, the muscle would be heavier. SO, often when you begin a weight loss and exercise program you tone up before you slim down....The added muscle can cause you to actually gain weight because you've now added musculature to your body.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Yes, going by volume muscle is heavier. But most ppl don't think from that angle, which is where all the confusion happens!
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i do believe that fat typically takes up 18% more room than fat. so while you are not losing, you will lose many inches when you are turning muscle into fat.

i know i'm one of those people that doesn't care what the scales say, as long as i am somewhere around a size 8 or 10. that is where my body is happy, healthy and able to keep up with all the activities that i want to do. it's not about the scales. or even the size...but my healthy lifestyle.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i do believe that fat typically takes up 18% more room than fat. so while you are not losing, you will lose many inches when you are turning muscle into fat.

i know i'm one of those people that doesn't care what the scales say, as long as i am somewhere around a size 8 or 10. that is where my body is happy, healthy and able to keep up with all the activities that i want to do. it's not about the scales. or even the size...but my healthy lifestyle.

Forgive me. I have an odd sense of humor and I don't mean to offend, but I lol'ed at the fact that the OP was nit picky complaining about a commonly used phrase that is blatantly false at it's basic level, and then you used another one with the turning fat into muscle.

Normally I'm not nit picky myself, and just go with the setiment behind the phrase. This just struck me as funny. :-)