Can low carb = queasy tummy?

Options
valleemic
valleemic Posts: 103 Member
So, I have had a queasy tummy on and off for the last 3-4 weeks or so. No, I'm not pregnant. I'm not doing a low carb diet per say but as high carb foods do tend to have more calories, I do find myself skipping on the bread, pasta and rice more times than not. Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced a slight nauseous tummy while eating low carb?

Replies

• al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    How long have you been low-ish on carbs? If you look at your diary, are you actually low in carbs? I've been doing a sugar detox, which by nature is low carb. The first few days my stomach would get a little queasy and I got light headed. Now, I'm fine and adjusted.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a higher percentage of fat, that could be a cause of an upset stomach.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    YES! I call it low-carb flu. I would get sick for several days with fever, but feeling nauseated and weak. After a day on the BRAT diet for sickness, I realized I wasn't really sick; my almost cold-turkey avoidance of carbs had done it. It's better to taper off gradually than to make any sudden changes to your diet.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Also if you're eating a super high percentage of protein and too low fat you can get queasy as well.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    ^^ This too. Actually, that reminds me:

"It may be hard to believe, with its endless flavor varieties and sugary additions, but cereal is one of the first widely marketed “health foods.” It was developed as an answer to a growing dyspepsia epidemic in America. During the Civil War, many suffered from this chronic digestion problem that resulted from the unhealthy, high-protein diets of the time. It was clear that eating habits had to change; doctors recognized a need for teaching Americans how to eat and live healthier. Institutions that emphasized exercise and a healthy diet, known as sanitariums, began popping up around the country." (from PBS, History of Cereal)

So, we started having carbohydrates for breakfast (and all the time) because they're easy on the tummy, but we all know where that got us in the last century.

It seems that indigestion can be caused by any kind of imbalance in your diet--or, in my case, by a trip to McD's for some greasy breakfast deliciousness for the first time in months. Ugh. Somebody stop me next time!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so it's difficult to say. How many grams of carbs are you actually eating per day? Not everyone has the same definition of "low carb". Simply by avoiding the foods you say you are you could still be eating a lot more than I would consider low carb. Many vegetables are high in carbs, for example.

Personally, I've never been queasy eating low carb, even when I was eating less than 20 grams per day. For me, the carb flu is just low energy and tiredness for a couple of days and then I go back to feeling normal.