which do you prefer? running, hiit?

iamstaceywood
iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
So, my husband and I are trying to spend more time together and he is not a fitness kinda guy and im hitting things hard right now and trying to shed some serious weight. We decided we should try to spend two days a week working out since he has a newfound love for running and wants to maybe foray into my little world. So, we get to talking about it today and he picks one workout andi pick the other and its for a half hour. Sounds fun, right? Wrong. He loves to do monotonous things, like pushups till failure, or situps till failure, or running for forever ever, no challenge, no change. I love the high impact interval training. Its so much more fun. You can do ANYTHING for a minute. ANYTHING. Insanity works for me, things like 30 day shred (if it was more exciting) etc. So, I suggested TurboJam and he was like, ug, that is awful, how terribly horrible, i hate it when my everything gets tiered instead of just my leggs when i run. blah blah blah, lol.
So, whats your prefered method?

Replies

• I do lifting M-W-F and HIIT (running) Tu-Thu-and on Sat. if I can squeeze it in.
  • I lift twice a week and do cardio twice a week. I hope to add another workout a week, but that's all I can manage right now.

I'm like you, Stacey; I have to switch things up. I get bored doing the same thing for too long.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I'm boring I guess lol
    I love running!!! I always feel so good after a good run :)
    I use the elliptical too but it doesn't compare to the excitement of running for me.

Based on what you are saying though, I think the 2 of you would enjoy circuit training.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    I love running short distance at a decent pace so I guess I get the best of both worlds. Currently I am doing around 2.33 miles in ~16-7min Mon - Thur and then 5 Miles in ~45min on Sat
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    I like running. The majority of my cardio comes from running. I just like how I can plug in some tunes, or watch tv, and run away. I do some HIIT once or twice a week, but it's definitely not my favourite lol!

L.
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    I would say I like both evenly. I've done long distance running in the past, as well as HIIT. With time constraints, interval training does take the cake . . . or protein shake, whatever. :0)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    I lift and do cardio 5-6days a week.

If I'm running I do intervals. If I'm doing "other" I do the stairs or the eliptical or swim or all. I like to warm-up with a good run (15 minutes) Lift, Run the stairs for 15-20 minutes and then swim. That's my favorite work out it's intense but I break up the long drawn out cardio by doing 15-20 minutes of different stuff. Can you guys work something like that out? Run for 10 minutes to warm up do 10 minutes of intense calistenics (upper or lower body to appease the hubby) and then another run (hard for 10 or 15 minutes)? Just a thought...
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Sounds like a wonderful lesson in compromise and in experiencing what each other like to do your losing weight and gaining some perspective into each other. :heart: My hubby does Kung fu, I don't enjoy it but Iike to do it to experience a little of what makes him happy. :heart: I enjoy running, he doesn't but will run with me for the experience. You never know you both may end up trying a liking something you never thought you would. :smile:
    To answer the question I prefer running (outside) but I also love my strength and circuit days.:wink:
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Well, I try to work out every day... I do a mix of running, walking, and dancing, whatever I feel motivated to do at the time.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    I love running outside :) I hate cardio inside - but I do it anyway. I LOVE lifting weights :) But for me, as long as I'm moving - that's the main goal. Whatever makes me feel happy!
  • nbloom
    nbloom Posts: 14
    I think that it really should vary. Running is a good form of Cardio but Jillian MIchael's dvd's are also a really great workout. I like to mix it up throughout the week for example, I might run Monday for 30 minutes or so and then maybe do the Elliptical on Tuesday then do Banish Fat boost metabolism on Wednesday etc. The rest day is very important so make sure to always take at least one day! Good luck :)
  • You can do ANYTHING for a minute. ANYTHING.

I have a test for you. You just stated you can do anything for a minute. I'd like to see you sprint all out with no decrease in form or speed for 1 minute. Not a moderate pace but FULL OUT! I guarantee you will learn the fallacy of that statement.

I do know what you intended by that and I agree most exercises and things can be done at a moderately high intensity for 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on your level of fitness.

Oh and I prefer HIIT. HIIT is hell and my body hates me afterward and I feel nauseous and dizzy but I guess I'm a masochist because I love it.
This discussion has been closed.