Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Musle gain

Hey everyone!

i was just wondering if it is really that impossible to gain some muscle by just eating and doing bodyweight excercises. I have a really fast metabolism. I was always really skinny... The problem is that i really can't go to the gym, because i have to take care of my father all day long and can't really go away. Everywhere i go on the internet i see posts saying that it is impossible for a "hardgainer"/ectomorph/whatever" to gain muscle by bodyweight excercises. I don't really think so, but i could use some more information before i start. Is there some good plan for a person like me? (179cm/56kg)

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    With enough food and enough stimulus you can certainly add some muscle. How much is the real question? You'll only find out by trying.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    I've been gaining muscle using only bodyweight exercises. I've only gained about 3 pounds in 2 months, but I feel like it's all muscle because my measurements are the same and I can FEEL the new muscle. I was skinny all my life until I hit about 30, never really had much muscle at all. I got the book "You are your own gym" and have been using the exercises in that. I didn't want to gain fat, though, so have been eating at only maintenance calories. I'm sure if you eat extra calories and do enough of the exercises it will help. Maybe not as fast as lifting with weights, but I do think from my own experience that it's possible. Probably depends on how much you want to gain.
  • gnzlsg
    gnzlsg Posts: 20 Member
    u have to have some mass before ur can convert it to lean muscle. Try a weight gainer, with ur routine. focus on clean carbs so u add clean mass and not fat
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    u have to have some mass before ur can convert it to lean muscle. Try a weight gainer, with ur routine. focus on clean carbs so u add clean mass and not fat

Whatever you do, OP, ignore this post.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Convict Conditioning - a great starting BW progressive program.

http://amzn.to/1uc3ocB

Find out your TDEE. Eat at a surplus.

There's really no such thing as a hard gainer. There's just people who aren't eating enough. I thought I was a hard gainer too. I was weak eater. Your stomach will take 2-4 weeks to expand, then it'll be fun and easy to stuff your face.

Enjoy!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member

Wut?! Wish I'd known I could be converting all this 'mass' to muscle.

OP you can totally build muscle doing body weight stuff as long as it's progressively harder and you've got a surplus.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    I was 6'4" 130 pounds at one point and was a "hardgainer" and "could eat whattever I want and not gain weight!!"

Eat more, simple.

I'm eating 6000 calories now, there is no excuse. I don't care how much you eat, simply eat MORE.

/rant off
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Convict Conditioning - a great starting BW progressive program.

http://amzn.to/1uc3ocB

Find out your TDEE. Eat at a surplus.

There's really no such thing as a hard gainer. There's just people who aren't eating enough. I thought I was a hard gainer too. I was weak eater. Your stomach will take 2-4 weeks to expand, then it'll be fun and easy to stuff your face.

Enjoy!

DO THIS!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    This site has a ton of good information:

http://strengthunbound.com/
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    is really that impossible to gain some muscle by just eating and doing bodyweight excercises?

I have gained some muscle by running and BW alone--without eating buckets. so, no. (if I cut out the cardio and ate more, i'd gain more.)

ed grammar fail