What is so special about protein?

So I'm really trying to better myself as far as exercise and nutrition go and so my friend suggested that I start making smoothies/shakes for meal supplements which I haven't done before. I've made smoothies but nothing like with protein in them. My question is- what does protein do exactly for weight loss, if anything? What additionally things should I be adding to shakes of weight loss? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Generally speaking, protein helps you feel fuller longer and it helps to repair and retain your lean muscle mass.

My protein smoothies tend to be a scoop of protein powder (you may have to experiment to find one you like), a scoop of Greek yogurt, and fruit. But there are tons and tons of things that you can add to a smoothie. Anything from pureed pumpkin and cool whip, flax seed, cocoa powder, green tea powder, peanut butter, milk or milk alternatives (almond, soy, coconut, etc.), hidden veggies (spinach hides well in a shake).

You can find tons of protein shake recipes online if you're looking for a good place to start.