can I get a flat stomach through just a diet?

Options
I as because I know I won't keep up with exercising though I will always do my walks. Is that possible?

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • quest67
    quest67 Posts: 94
    Options
    In for answers
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    No.
  • natashabefit
    Options
    No.

Really? Than what is best?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about you - age, weight, what are your goals, what are you eating, why you can't exercise any more, etc., but as a general rule it takes more than casual walking to get/stay in shape. Anyone who takes the recommendation to walk as gospel is kidding themselves about it's benefits. That advice, even for older people (like me :-D) is not great. On more research, the "experts" have started acknowledging that it takes more to guarantee benefits from exercising.

A general program that incorporates resistance training/muscle building training in addition to regular cardio has proven beneficial to longevity and good health. Walking is better than nothing, but it's just a start.
  • natashabefit
    Options
    All I want is to get my stomach flatter. I have some giggly left on my stomach I want gone. Its weird cause what sticks out is the fat in the mddle wear a 6 pack would normalybe. Everything else is flat. Sorry ifthat doesn't make much sense lol. I'm fit eveywhere from doing 30 day shred and liftibg but I've stopped because I do not enjoy it. I am 25 female 114 pounds and am 4'11
  • natashabefit
    Options
    Also, my calories here on mfp is set to lose .5 pounds and I have 1410 calories a day
  • quest67
    Options
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about you - age, weight, what are your goals, what are you eating, why you can't exercise any more, etc., but as a general rule it takes more than casual walking to get/stay in shape. Anyone who takes the recommendation to walk as gospel is kidding themselves about it's benefits. That advice, even for older people (like me :-D) is not great. On more research, the "experts" have started acknowledging that it takes more to guarantee benefits from exercising.

A general program that incorporates resistance training/muscle building training in addition to regular cardio has proven beneficial to longevity and good health. Walking is better than nothing, but it's just a start.

If I dropped you in the middle of a famine zone and didn't pick you back up until you were emaciated within an inch of your life, trust me...you'd have a flat stomach.

Resistance training/muscle building has little to do with a "flat" stomach. Most human beings who are not obese or fat have a "flat" stomach. The OP didn't ask about six pack, defined abs. They asked about a low-fat, flat front torso.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

If I dropped you in the middle of a famine zone and didn't pick you back up until you were emaciated within an inch of your life, trust me...you'd have a flat stomach.

Resistance training/muscle building has little to do with a "flat" stomach. Most human beings who are not obese or fat have a "flat" stomach. The OP didn't ask about six pack, defined abs. They asked about a low-fat, flat front torso.

Improving or helping preserve lean body mass helps. In the long run they'll have less weight to lose and overall better body composition in the end. On top of being able to eat more.

ETA: Calorie deficit is vital for fat loss to have a flat stomach. You can get there through just diet. Resistance training may make it easier as will cardio.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Yes .. you totally can. A flat stomach is caused by a calorie deficit ... however if you want to look like a fitness model .. you will need to see to it that your muscle will be evident or else it will probably not be the thing that you are probably imagining it would be as most if not all the pics you see ... those people did not get those magical looking bodies by not working a lot at making things look good, and that usually means working out.

But .. the answer to the ? .. imho a definite yes.
  • natashabefit
    Options
    thanks everyone for ur time to help answer me
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

Video illustrating the benefits of walking 30 minutes a day for health. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo
  • quest67
    Options
    Thx for the link! Great video imo
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Improving or helping preserve lean body mass helps. In the long run they'll have less weight to lose and overall better body composition in the end. On top of being able to eat more.

ETA: Calorie deficit is vital for fat loss to have a flat stomach. You can get there through just diet. Resistance training may make it easier as will cardio.

I just love how you explain this with a nice picture of your awesome abs every time when this subject comes up. :flowerforyou:
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Diet alone won't result in a flat stomach from my experience. I'm very close to being underweight. Technically, I'm not but I'm as thin as I dare be. I don't exercise except when my life calls for it (shoveling, yard work, etc.). My stomach is not flat.

stomach.jpg

On the left is what my stomach looks like with a relaxed pose. Definitely, not flat. But it's also not fat. Visible veins and lymph nodes tells me that. I'm pretty sure it's my guts. Maybe my anatomy is unusual, but I doubt it. Hip-bone-to-hip-bone flat takes strength training and exercise. I'd have to be down right emaciated to have a flat stomach without exercise.
  • natashabefit
    Options
    Diet alone won't result in a flat stomach from my experience. I'm very close to being underweight. Technically, I'm not but I'm as thin as I dare be. I don't exercise except when my life calls for it (shoveling, yard work, etc.). My stomach is not flat.

stomach.jpg

On the left is what my stomach looks like with a relaxed pose. Definitely, not flat. But it's also not fat. Visible veins and lymph nodes tells me that. I'm pretty sure it's my guts. Maybe my anatomy is unusual, but I doubt it. Hip-bone-to-hip-bone flat takes strength training and exercise. I'd have to be down right emaciated to have a flat stomach without exercise.

um, where is ur belly button? :huh:
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ever see a picture of an African child with a huge navel? Yeah, I had that as an infant and it required surgery to fix it (umbilical hernia). It's completely possible to fix those AND leave the navel intact, but my doctor was lazy or something.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    whose picture is that on the lower right side? awesome stomach, me drooling..:love:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I just love how you explain this with a nice picture of your awesome abs every time when this subject comes up. :flowerforyou:

"When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself." -Jacques Yves Cousteau

I think that when we have been successful at something it's pretty much our responsibility to tell others how we achieved it. Whether they follow the advice or not isn't any of my business. I'm just here to share and let people know that it isn't impossible and you don't have to starve yourself to do it.