Protein Shakes

Options
So, basically I need a protein shake for dummies. I've been doing crossfit just about everyday for 3 weeks and I know lot of the other members drink protein shakes. I read a little about it, but still not really sure about it. I guess I've always thought of protein shakes something people who want to bulk up drink. So can someone explain to me its purpose and some suggestions on what's a good brand to buy?

Thank you :)

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It's just a supplement, nothing more. Normally protein powders are used by people who cannot meet all their protein macros with food alone. You want to buy one that tastes good to you and has a decent amount of protein per calorie serving. Body Fortress, a Walmart brand, has 30 grams of protein per 170 calorie scoop. Might not be the most delicious but it does the job. You might have to experiment and see which ones you like.
  • TrenAbe
    TrenAbe Posts: 26
    Options
    Dymatize ISO 100
    One of the leanest powders on the market with a huge variety of flavors. Birthday Cake is my favorite if you happen to give a bleep.
    Peace
  • KeishaGettinFit
    Options
    I get them from the gym every time I work out. I'm addicted to them they r so good but cost way to much at the gym for something u can make at home. I wish I knew how to make them taste as good as the gym does. They help ur muscles to repair and to not be so sore. Some people don't use shakes because they eat enough chicken and fish and other natural proteins.
  • getfitalicious
    Options
    My two favorite are Shakeology and Syntha 6. Shakeology is good if you struggle to get your daily vegetable intake. How are you planning on using the protein shake? Are you planning on using it after your workouts or as a meal replacement?
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I drink one before crossfit also. I enjoy the Glucerna Classic Butter Pecan. Does the job and tastes good :) about 190 cals :)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Are you hitting your protein target within your calorie target? If so, then no need for the shakes. If not, then yes they might be good to mix up post-workout.
    All depends on your calorie and macro goals.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    A protein shake is just food, nothing more. You can bulk up on protein shakes/food or cut down with protein shakes/food.
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is one of the best I've tried. And like someone said it helps if you are not meeting your daily goals with food alone.
  • Margo786
    Margo786 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like Harmonized Vegan Protein by Progressive. I blend it with a lot of different vegetables, it tastes good and it's a meal replacement.