Okra- Frozen & Cut.. What to do with it?

Options
katy84o
katy84o Posts: 744 Member
I'm looking for side dishes, preferably not the typical breaded and fried. I'm looking for something new. I opened a bag last night for a quick red lentil soup and I didn't even use 1/4 of the bag. I want to use it up soon, so I am looking for some ideas. Give me what ya' got!

Thanks!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Gumbo
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    Throw it away! Okra is nasty.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    throw it in the garbage
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Great!! Thank you, in the trash it goes.

But in reality. It can be nasty, but okra can also be pretty delicious so i'm looking for a side dish. My searches online have come up with gumbo, fried and other dishes that are additions to an entree. Eh. Maybe i'll get a idea on here. Maybe not.
  • lalee93
    lalee93 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've seen recipes for roasted okra. It's supposed to get crunchy and tasty. Not sure though, fried okra is just so darn good, it's hard to stray away!

Hope you find a good recipe. Good luck.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I make a vegetable stew with it....add beans,tomatoes, onions, tomatoes, garlic, zucchini...whatever you like
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    For me, okra has to be crispy. One of my favorite snacks is roasted okra. Would make a good side dish too. Just dump a bag of frozen okra on a cookie sheet. Toss with a tbs of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes (shake em up every 10 minutes). They should be crispy and brown when done, but not charred.
  • e_spriya
    e_spriya Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Cut it into thin slices and let it open for sometime or bake it just till moisture goes off maybe 5 min?
    Then take a tbsp oil heat it then add chopped onions okra Chilli powder salt and stir fry. U can happily skip onions if u don't want.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Make bhindi bhaji (okra curry).
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    South Indian veg curry.

Plenty of good recipes online if you've got a good stock of basic spices in your cupboards...

ETA looks like I was beaten to the punch...
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's a relief to throw the problem in the garbage. Although the curry idea might work with the slimy stuff.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love what the Indians do with it! As a lesser cook, I cook it up with passata and a bunch of other vegetables, and it's yummy :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add a tiny bit of oil, add salt and pepper, and bake whole in an oven.
  • e_spriya
    e_spriya Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    What I have mentioned above is a simple version of South Indian dry okra dish. U could make a curry it tomato or tamarind sauce and ground coconut paste. U can look up recipe on YouTube as vendaikai Puli kulambu.
    its yummy with rice.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Throw it away and accept the loss :sick:

throw it in the garbage

oh my gosh, someone who shares my hatred. :love:
  • jasneet12
    jasneet12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Here is a more detailed recipe for the indian way of cooking okra.

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/bhindi-bhaji-recipe/

as a caution; add salt only after the veggies have cooked as okra reduces in quantity when cooked.
  • 15Nov2013
    15Nov2013 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No don't throw it away .. grill it and add it so a salad (tahini dressing) ... it tastes really good
  • midgelilly
    Options
    Sautéed shrimp and okra
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You can also make chutney with it.

You may find south indian chutneys a bit too oil-based since you were looking to stay away from frying it in the first place, but I've had a similar recipe to this one that was quite nice:

http://www.southdreamz.com/south-indian-recipes/ladys-finger-chutney/

I haven't made this specific one though.
  • Turtle_Lover1981
    Options
    Bhindi Masala

Ingredients
    Okra (bhindi) 500 grams
    Oil 4 tablespoons
    Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
    Onions,sliced 2 large
    Green chillies,slit 3-4
    Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
    Coriander powder 1 tablespoon
    Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
    Salt
    Dry mango powder (amchur) 2 teaspoons

Method
    Step 1
    Wash and dry the bhindi or wipe with a wet cloth. Cut both the ends and cut into two inch long pieces. Slit the pieces horizontally without cutting them into two. Step 2
    Heat the oil in a kadai and add the cumin seeds. When they change colour, add the onions and saute till light golden. Add the green chillies and saute for half a minute. Step 3
    Add the bhindi and sprinkle the red chilli, coriander and turmeric powders. Mix well. Cook covered over low heat stirring occasionally. Step 4
    Add the salt and amchur. When the bhindi is almost cooked, increase the heat and cook for two minutes.Step 5
    Chef's TipStep 6
    You may use tiny onions for this recipe. Peel and make deep cross cuts in onions and stuff with a mixture of turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt and amchur. Use same stuffing for bhindi and cook covered, with a little oil and green chillies.