Ready to get down to business this time

Options
Ive tried mfp before, but do to anxiety and depression and me getting in the way, I just couldn't make lifestyle changes stick. I am finally ready. I have secondary health issues, hyperlipidemia, and borderline diabetes with a BMI of 29. My doctor agreed to give me a jumpstart with phentermine, but after 4 weeks, it didn't help. I was able to lose 15 pounds and keep 13 of them off during the past month where I have been off phentermine. I am about to start qsymia tomorrow, and am interested to know if others are or have been in my position and what their experiences are.

Before people jump on the NO pill bandwagon. I understand completely that pills are not a solution. I know that long term only lifestyle changes can keep weight off. This is strictly for a jumpstart to help me in the beginning

Replies

• LISAK827
    LISAK827 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not taking any medications for weight loss but I too suffer greatly from anxiety & depression. Those two alone are huge contributors to my weight problems. I just signed up again to MFP this evening & the first community post I found was yours. I applied for a free trial of the Belviq last evening which is the newest commercialized FDA approved weight loss medication. I am also meeting with my doctor next month about medical weight loss options (non-surgical vs. surgical). I am taking this one day at a time using MFP so I can focus on what matters & let the mistakes & other little things go so I can stay focused. I have been having joint pain as well which doctors have said may be due to my weight. I currently weigh 230 lbs./BMI 39.5. I was told this evening by a friend that to lose weight, "you & determination is all you really need". With that positive advice I'm ready for my first full day using MFP tomorrow! Good luck to you in your future weight loss journey!
  • hollypopp10
    hollypopp10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I am sorry you too have had to experience anxiety and depression. It really does take a toll, mentally and physically. I received a free 14 day trial of qsymia, which is great since it is not covered by insurance. Your friend is right, in a perfect world all weight loss takes Is determination, but with anxiety and depression it I not necessarily quite so easy. Have faith and tell yourself daily that you can do this. Best of luck to you!
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm in that boat too... 15 years now... I'm also pre-diabetic. Let's help each other!
  • hollypopp10
    Options
    Rachel, I am with you! Yes! lets help each other! Sending a friend request~:happy:
  • Metcalf1690
    Metcalf1690 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I also suffered anxiety/depression for years....I have to say though I've been off anxiety meds for a few years and feeling great! But during al those years suffering with anxiety I packed on the pounds. So now its time to take them off.
    I wish us all great success !!!! :)
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You can do this. Just don't quit.
    Good luck to you.
  • cindyfleetwood
    cindyfleetwood Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    would it be okay if i also join you all in this as I have trouble with all of this as well.
    Thank you so very much!!!!
  • hollypopp10
    Options
    Let's do it Metcalf! Yes, when you have no interest in getting off the couch from anxiety and depression, the weight packs on so easily! I am only recently at a point where I am ready to consider coming off medication. Which is great as I thought meds would be a part of my life forever... baby steps!!!!
  • meowpotatomeow
    Options
    I've been doing this for almost three months now, and have lost 22 pounds mainly though cutting portion sizes. I had been exercising for a while, but my depression issues started acting up, and I just didn't feel like doing anything anymore. During that roughly month long period (that I'm trying to pull myself out of now), I really didn't eat much due to no appetite, and when I did it wasn't really healthy. But I still lost 4 pounds in that month.

I'm very happy with how well I've done, but I feel like people are getting tired of me talking about it. I do talk about my weight loss quite a bit, but it's the only thing I'm proud about in my life right now. It's the only thing that gets me excited.
  • hollypopp10
    Options
    Thank you! I can use the encouragement!
  • hollypopp10
    Options
    Cindy! yes! we need to stick together!
  • hollypopp10
    Options
    Meow, I totally get it! And you should be proud! Its amazing that you have found something to feel positive about. That is not always an easy task. Just remember that your focus is to keep maintaining a healthy lifestyle, I am behind you 100%!!! Friend me if you like:smile:
  • Jessicamlee21
    Jessicamlee21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Jessica. I'm a 21 year old female from Twin Falls, Idaho and up until about 5 years ago I never struggled with my weight, in fact I was very skinny and healthy...I even used to model, I had a contract and all. For the girl that had everything going for her it all changed one night when I was in a very bad car accident with 4 of my best friends. I walked away virtually unharmed (some minor injuries), but the rest weren't so lucky...I lost 4 of my best friends from childhood that night. Then the next 2 years were filled with tragedy after tragedy, I felt like I had nothing to turn to except food...And that became my comfort for everything.

When I went to college nothing changed, other than I was a little more stressed out than usual and my "freshman 15" was really my freshman 50. I finished high school early, so I was only 17 (barely when I graduated) and finished college early as well....I tried all kinds of fad and crash diets all the way through college and like many I lost a few pounds here and there, but never made a lifestyle change. After college I took an amazing job (really a dream job) in corporate America and dedicated my heart and soul to it, my work week became 90+ hours a week sometimes, easily...My bad habits got worse and my sedentary lifestyle didn't help either.

Again, what many would consider the "peak" of my life I found myself struggling...Not with my career, or anything else, but myself. I became depressed and was also diagnosed with anxiety/depression and it has just consumed my life. Now here I sit 5 years later and I have doubled my body weight, the once "pretty girl" I used to feel and see in the mirror is gone, and I am even more miserable with myself than I was before.

I just made a doctors appointment for this week to discuss what to do next with myself. I previously tried Phetermine and that seemed to take the weight off quickly, but I came off of it, because I was simply not making the lifestyle changes. I'm hoping that he will let me get back on it...I know that pills are not the solution or a long term solution, but I see it as a tool to help me begin this long journey that I have ahead of me.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like and we can embark on this journey together. :) Good luck everyone!
  • MisspelledMe
    MisspelledMe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 26, and I'm from a very small town in Tennessee. Not taking any weight loss meds, but I'm also dealing with depression and anxiety. I won the genetic lottery when it comes to mental health--both sides of the family have lots of fun stuff. I've been fighting my brain full-time for three years. Dropped out of college, cut contact with all of my offline friends, ended up spending a week in a falling-down state-run mental hospital after I OD'd on my first antidepressant, bounced around from med to med for years, stopped writing...it's all been so, so hard. And I won't be surprised if I have to stay medicated for the rest of my life. I'm taking two antidepressants right now that seem to be helping, and, while I am feeling a LOT better than I was, I'm still not okay. Still rarely leave the house, still feel completely awful way too often.. Just being able to post on here and to try to get my physical health under control is pretty huge, though.

Wishing all of you luck on both of these journeys. <3 If any of you would like to be friends, I'm here. :)
  • rachelmccasling
    Options
    In desperate need of some support. I've lost 26 lbs so far in 75 days! I'm happy with my results but I've seem to hit a wall. Would like some add some friends to see their life style and what they do daily so I can keep motivated by seeing others going through the samething. Thanks