Is it because I'm short??...

If I try to set my goal at anything more than .5lb a wk my calories drop down to 1200. I tried this for about a week and it made me feel like HELL!! I had to quit working out cause I felt so horrible. I want to lose more than .5lb a wk but there is no way I can only eat 1200 and function.

Is low cause I'm short with not a whole lot to lose??

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Things that determine your NET calorie goal here on MFP:
    - Weight
    - Height
    - Non Exercise Activity Level

If your estimated TDEE without exercise is say 1700 for example:
    0.5lb per week loss without exercise: 1450
    1lb per week loss without exercise: 1200
    1.5lb per week loss without exercise: MFP won't go this low. It isn't healthy.
    2lb per week loss without exercies: MFP won't go this low. It isn't healthy.

While your height plays a part in the calculation, a large part of it comes from your Non Exercise Activity Level. Also keep in mind that when you exercise, MFP expects you to eat some of those calories back.
  • princess71903
    princess71903 Posts: 56 Member
    While adjusting to meds and being nauseous 1200 was easy. I was way under. Now that I've adjusted and starting to feel better that 1200 is crazy low to me.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Lose at a rate that doesn't make you feel miserable. It may be slower but there's no deadline. Managing your weight is a life long endeavour and you have to take pleasure in it, or at least not despise it, otherwise you may abandon the effort entirely.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    I've always hated tracking but it works.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    also keep in mind that the numbers are based on averages. your actual numbers for your body might be more or less. i know for me my maintenance calories are about 400 calories over what MFP says it should be