All inclusive holiday tips

Options
Hi everyone,

I've only been with you all for a week, but can't believe the amount of positive comments and helpfulness displayed be everyone.

My goal weight lost at the moment is only 14 pounds, I'm at 157 at the moment, want to get down to 143 which should put me right on the top end of healthy for my 5.3 height.

I should have started this way earlier, as I'm off to Antigua at the end of August on an all inclusive holiday, which I've never done before.

I'm aware that i have no will power at all when food is put in front of me especially when I'm not paying anything for it at the time. My aim is to have fruit for breakfast, salads for lunch (miss out the brunch and afternoon tea) and the try and pick sensibly for dinner.

I'm hoping the free water sports, snorkeling, paddle boarding and kayaking will help, along with cycling, but at the moment I'm exhausted and have a horrible feeling I'm just going to collapse on the beach and do nothing for two weeks.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they can share.

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Make sure to load up at veggies first at the buffet (add some meat or eggs too), go to your table and eat all that first. Wait 10 minutes and then go back to get some more. You will have filled up considerably and won't eat as much of other stuff.
    Just remember to eat slowly and enjoy.

Can you already book actvities now? Do that if you can, or as soon as you arrive. If you have it planned already, you eill do it sooner. Plan stuff to see in the meighbourhood.

Just fruit for breakfast does not fill me up personally, try to add some protein to that, scrambled eggs or something.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i went on an all inclusive holiday last year, and definitely got my moneys worth! i put on 5lbs, but it soon came off once i got back to normal.

I work on the basis that i'm going to enjoy myself on holiday and not worry about what i eat or how much i eat... i have 51 other weeks of the year to do that!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for food beautifully presented with fruits you might not have ever seen before. The fruits are as delicious as they are gorgeous. You can get seafood. Watch out for the bread, alcohol and sweets -- be judicious.
    Contact the resort to ask for the menu.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm going to Turkey all inclusive in September and I'm really worried about seriously overeating. Apparently the food in my hotel is amazing, and they have an onsite bakery/patisserie, ice cream bar and snack shop which are all included. When food is 'free' or I'm at a buffet I seem to have the mindset that I won't ever be able to try it if I don't have it now (even though I know I will) so I end up eating loads.

I think at first you will be really excited about what's on offer food and drink-wise, but after a few days you will realise the food is pretty much the same everyday so will start to be more sensible because you've tried everything on offer already. That's the attitude I'm going in with anyway. Good luck!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i went on an all inclusive holiday last year, and definitely got my moneys worth! i put on 5lbs, but it soon came off once i got back to normal.

I work on the basis that i'm going to enjoy myself on holiday and not worry about what i eat or how much i eat... i have 51 other weeks of the year to do that!

^^^ This :)

I went on an all inclusive to Spain in June and to be honest, I found it quite easy to eat well because the buffet selection had quite a lot of healthy stuff and the seafood and salad bar looked so amazing that I wasn't tempted by any of the other more English-ified buffet food. I loaded up on eggs and muesli for breakfast, and had salads with lean meat or paellas for lunch and dinner (sometimes skipped lunch if I'd had a big breakfast). Although all the cakes looked amazing, they tasted nowhere near as good as they looked - tried one but didn't really bother again.

I did put about 4lb on from the holiday, but I put that down to the beer and sangria on tap rather than the food! :ohwell:
  • tinatwin1971
    tinatwin1971 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick responses. I've looked at the menu's online and found I just wanted to eat everything.

I don't eat any egg based dishes i.e. omelets, scrambled, boiled, fried, poached, I can't stand the taste, so that narrows my breakfast options a lot unfortunately.

Good advise on booking activities early with definitely have a look at that.

My plan is to try and cycle around the resort as much as i can it's based a around a lagoon, so hopefully I can just do circuits.
  • lots2lose51
    lots2lose51 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Im almost due to go on a big family All inclusive holiday, but im really worried about putting weight back on :noway:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Im almost due to go on a big family All inclusive holiday, but im really worried about putting weight back on :noway:

Sign up for the activities ahead of time and be judicious about alcohol and sweet deserts. Have fun.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Just remember to keep asking yourself "Am I really enjoying this?". If so, carry on. Don't gorge just because food is plentiful. Savor your choices.

Also I find it helpful at a buffet to start with soup, then some salad. Then go back a third time for the heavier entrees.

Make use of the gym. I would fit in a cardio workout in the mornings while the other half sleeps in.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

This...however I didn't eat salads..was warned against them in certian places.

I ate lots of protien for breakfast, bacon and eggs sometmes french toast too with fruit
    Lunch was whatever sometimes a burger but mainly I was drinking
    Dinner was usually loads of protien and some cooked veggies...

but I agree don't worry about it...have fun just don't "overeat" to the point of feeling stuffed.
  • lots2lose51
    Options
    better make sure i hit the pool lots
  • lots2lose51
    Options
    Well thats my ticker set and sorted for the next 42 lbs to lose, lots of exercise to be done from now until xmas if i want to make this step! and im going to ask santa for a bike yay!!! :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • katatoniczka
    Options
    If it's just a week, don't worry! Realistically speaking, how much could you put on in a week? Three pounds, fours? It's not that much compared to what you've already done. Just try to watch how many calories you drink. I prefer to eat my cals so that my stomach tells me when to stop.

Btw IDK how it happened, but I went for a two week vacation where I exercised only a little and ate I'd say 500-700 over my maintenance every day and I came back home 2 pounds lighter. I couldn't believe the scale but it's been three weeks since I got back and I didn't put on that weight :P
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Almost all resorts have a gym on the grounds. Make sure to use it in the morning before you set out to have fun. I tried to eat two very sensible meals a day while on vacation, usually breakfast and lunch, and then was a little more lenient at dinner time because, come on, I'm on vacation! I also made sure to walk everywhere and not take a taxi. I do that at home as much as I can too.

But remember to have fun. Don't ruin a vacation with constant stress over a few hundred calories. You can always work extra hard the weeks before and after to balance it out. Life is short. Live a little.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If it's just a week, don't worry! Realistically speaking, how much could you put on in a week? Three pounds, fours? It's not that much compared to what you've already done. Just try to watch how many calories you drink. I prefer to eat my cals so that my stomach tells me when to stop.

Btw IDK how it happened, but I went for a two week vacation where I exercised only a little and ate I'd say 500-700 over my maintenance every day and I came back home 2 pounds lighter. I couldn't believe the scale but it's been three weeks since I got back and I didn't put on that weight :P

i put on 9lbs!!! 9 bloody pounds i actually wanna die - im praying after being back 100% the water weight will disappear leaving me with the real gain - although i did enjoy myself lots lol
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight both times the hubby and I did all inclusive, we even got married at one. I think it was because we were super active all day and well, all night. So many water sports and lots of walking and beach volleyball. It definitely wasn't from diet. I stayed drunk and ate tons.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Just have a great time and enjoy yourself. Even if you do gain, it'll come off quickly.