Nutrition Peeps

Options
Does eating less carbs dehydrate your body? If so, does that mean that quick results from a low carb diet would be waterweight you would be better off keeping?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm asking that seriously. I'm clueless.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    the sentence you wrote makes no sense....
  • sensitivefool
    Options
    Tried to word it differently.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Does eating less carbs dehydrate your body? If so, does that mean that quick results from a low carb diet would be waterweight you would be better off keeping?

no.

you lose water weight along with fat and muscle when you're in a calorie deficit, whether its low carb or not.
  • sensitivefool
    Options

no.

you lose water weight along with fat and muscle when you're in a calorie deficit, whether its low carb or not.

Ok... so why do low carb diets exist? What's so bad about carbs? Doesn't our body turn them into glucose and runs on it?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

no.

Ok... so why do low carb diets exist? What's so bad about carbs? Doesn't our body turn them into glucose and runs on it?

why do any diets exist? because people want a quick fix and believe that cutting out this or that is better (ie easier) than a calorie deficit and some regular exercise.

i dont think theres anything bad about carbs, 40% of my calories come from carbs, they're delicious...
  • sensitivefool
    Options
    Ok, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm not living in an alternate universe after all, lol.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Less carbs means less glycogen (essentially stored carbohydrates used for energy which is made mostly of water). Therefore when you go on a low carb diet you can see a quick loss but generally it is not mostly fat (which in reality you are seeking to lose.)

In addition, less carbs can mean less sodium being delivered into your system / stored in the kidneys which prompts water retention. Losing water is not necessarily a bad thing if you are retaining excessive amounts. Clearly you don't want to go to the other extreme and end up dehydrated either.

That said, the key goal is fat loss and fat loss is determined by a calorie deficit - low carb is just one way of reaching that deficit. If it suits a person's preferences then it is a good option. If it doesn't then it is probably not.
  • sensitivefool
    Options

Less carbs means less glycogen (essentially stored carbohydrates used for energy which is made mostly of water). Therefore when you go on a low carb diet you can see a quick loss but generally it is not mostly fat (which in reality you are seeking to lose.)

In addition, less carbs can mean less sodium being delivered into your system / stored in the kidneys which prompts water retention. Losing water is not necessarily a bad thing if you are retaining excessive amounts. Clearly you don't want to go to the other extreme and end up dehydrated either.

That said, the key goal is fat loss and fat loss is determined by a calorie deficit - low carb is just one way of reaching that deficit. If it suits a person's preferences then it is a good option. If it doesn't then it is probably not.

Very good details. Thank you for explaining so fully! :)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Nutrition Peeps

Here you go.

peeps2.jpg
  • sensitivefool
    Options
    :laugh: