How MFP calculate the daily calorie goals?

Options
Something weird going on with the MFP diet/calorie calculation.

It recommends the following based on two different settings -

1) My physical measurements (height, weight, age) + Sedentary lifestyle + Zero workouts per week = 1460cals per day

2) My physical measurements (height, weight, age) + Sedentary lifestyle + 5 x 60 min workouts per week = (Still?) 1460cals per day

Firstly adding five hours of working out does not seem to change the calorie target. That does not seem right?

Secondly MFP is way way below pretty much every other TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) calculator I have tried with my settings.

Almost universally every other website gives my TDEE as 2850 cals per day (includes 5 workouts per week) and all suggest that the safe target is around 2100 - 2200 calories per day. MFP is at least 600 below every other website.

Most likely explanation is that I am not setting it up correctly or not reading it right. Please help!

Replies

• Nathanmmx
    Nathanmmx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You actually have to add the workout calorie burns into your app, then you will have 1460 calories per day + whatever you burn in your workout.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    putting in an exercise goal doesnt change you calorie goal. when you actually add the exercise to your diary, you will get more calories to eat.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants - this thread gives a good explanation on how MFP works and how it comes up with calorie goals etc.
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I know some people set up their own TDEE. However, MFP (I could be wrong) may have you "under" those calories as some people eat back the calories they burn. So maybe they are leaving some room for error. Like, if you burn the 600 calories that are on that TDEE, you can eat them back. I'm not really sure how it's all figured into the background. I personally am just using it to see what I'm eating and not following their exact calories as they have calories set so high. I think they have me at like 1500 or something.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Read the sexy pant link above. MFP is not based on a TDEE calculation - it's more Net TDEE - that is your calorie goal is the amount after subtracting your exercise calories burned.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    putting in an exercise goal doesnt change you calorie goal. when you actually add the exercise to your diary, you will get more calories to eat.

^^yep.

The entry in the goals, is just a goal. When you actually add exercise to your daily diary, then you will get more calories allotted.
  • SlaughterHouseFive
    SlaughterHouseFive Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I see what you mean in that adding 5 workouts give me an extra 2800 calories per week.
    Thanks for your responses everyone! I got it now :)
  • SlaughterHouseFive
    SlaughterHouseFive Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You actually have to add the workout calorie burns into your app, then you will have 1460 calories per day + whatever you burn in your workout.

Makes sense thanks!