Just a bit frustrated / venting

Options
I started keeping track of my nutrition and exercise for the past two weeks here on MFP. I go to the gym 4x a week for 70 mins and do a very exhaustive workout usually burning approx. 916 calories (ish, since i can't really keep track of my weight training and abs portion of my workout). I have only had two really bad days (the first day I logged my food to see where I was starting from) and a day last week that turned into a food train wreck.

I have only lost 2.8 lbs in 15 days. I lost 1inch on my chest (why I have to lose that first heaven knows!) and 0.5 inch on my thigh (the rest have stayed the same). Now - I know that slow weight loss is better in terms of healthy, long term keeping it off, etc. and measurements are a good way of tracking progress as well. But I see so many people here and in other places, who seem to lose a couple of pounds a week and while I am very happy for other's progress - I feel stagnated. I usually stay under my allotted calories (only twice have I gone over, and even then, not by much) and I have made very conscious food choices.

I don't want to take any supplements, but I get discouraged that my efforts seem so hard for so little. I lost 31 lbs with a trainer between Sept. & Dec 2009, from 251 to 221 ... made it down to 217 for about 2 weeks, but gained the 4lbs back, and since then, have pretty much maintained the same weight since then (have had a few bumps in the road, a long holiday away from the gym and my routine, etc), but I just feel like everyone else is losing 2lbs+ a week and I can't seem to skim more than a couple of ounces .... I keep reminding myself that the scale isn't the only thing - progress at the gym in terms of my abilities have skyrocketed, but I still want to see the scale move....

I know Rome wasn't built in a day - and as my husband told me - it DID take about 12 years to put on the extra 115 lbs, but still, I feel frustrated. I am tired of being 222.6 - thank you for reading this far! Off to the gym ....

Replies

• Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    Options
    Hi Velix!

First of all - congratulations on your weight loss! You're absolutely on the right track and you should give yourself a big pat on that back for that.

I can understand your frustration. I am just starting off again, and I know how (especially at the beginning) it can feel like you are working so hard and everything is going so slowly! BUT if you look at it, you are losing about 1.5pounds/week and that's FANTASTIC! You really don't want to be losing more than that.

Also, remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so you are most likely even leaner than the scale is telling you.

All I can say is - I think you're doing great, keep your chin up and keep tracking on MFP and I promise, you'll keep seeing that scale move in the right direction!
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    2.8 pounds for 15 days is pretty great. Don't knock it or you might plateau.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This is why most people quit working out in the first 6 months of a routine. Stick with it. You said you lost inches in your chest... THOSE ARE INCHES! thats a huge deal!! just because the numbers on the scale haven't changed doesn't mean you aren't losing something. Just stick with it.. keep your head up and keep working out. Its the best medicine out there =)
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way. The slower they come off, the easier it is to keep them off! Keep at it. You are making great progress.
  • untamedheart
    Options
    Keep going and you'll get there! I've been working out for 2 months and tracking my food nearly a month and I've only lost 3 pounds...granted I've had more 'bad' days than you have but at least keeping track, I know where I've messed up and it makes me re-evaluate my progress. Remember, working out builds muscle which weighs more than fat so if you are on track AND losing inches, please don't be discouraged that the weight isn't dropping as fast as you would like it to. Focus on the positive progress you've made so far!
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    2.8lb in 15 days is just fine. Well done and keep going :smile:
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hi Velix - I am feeling very frustrated today too. I have been very good about logging my food for the last month - I don't make the best choices, but still aim to keep within or close to my goals. I workout 6x a week (20-30 mins of cardio 5x, personal trainer 3x, and tae bo 1x). Today, I get on the scale and it's crept back up. I think I've gained and lost the same 5 pounds for the last year+.

I do have a big piece of advice for you - get yourself a heartrate monitor. You will be amazed when you think your heartrate is high and it really isn't. Never trust what the machines at the gym tell you about your HR - they're wrong 90% of the time. It was the best suggestion my trainer made me follow - and has definitely paid off in the extra effort I've put into my workout when I thought I was reaching my target HR, but really wasn't.

Stick with it. You really are doing great. All those little inches really do add up over you're whole body - and before you realize it, you'll be the next size down in your clothes.
  • adek
    adek Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing & it shows. You are looking fantastic - I promise!
  • MamaJess
    MamaJess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I started keeping track of my nutrition and exercise for the past two weeks here on MFP. I go to the gym 4x a week for 70 mins and do a very exhaustive workout usually burning approx. 916 calories (ish, since i can't really keep track of my weight training and abs portion of my workout). I have only had two really bad days (the first day I logged my food to see where I was starting from) and a day last week that turned into a food train wreck.

I have only lost 2.8 lbs in 15 days. I lost 1inch on my chest (why I have to lose that first heaven knows!) and 0.5 inch on my thigh (the rest have stayed the same). Now - I know that slow weight loss is better in terms of healthy, long term keeping it off, etc. and measurements are a good way of tracking progress as well. But I see so many people here and in other places, who seem to lose a couple of pounds a week and while I am very happy for other's progress - I feel stagnated. I usually stay under my allotted calories (only twice have I gone over, and even then, not by much) and I have made very conscious food choices.

I don't want to take any supplements, but I get discouraged that my efforts seem so hard for so little. I lost 31 lbs with a trainer between Sept. & Dec 2009, from 251 to 221 ... made it down to 217 for about 2 weeks, but gained the 4lbs back, and since then, have pretty much maintained the same weight since then (have had a few bumps in the road, a long holiday away from the gym and my routine, etc), but I just feel like everyone else is losing 2lbs+ a week and I can't seem to skim more than a couple of ounces .... I keep reminding myself that the scale isn't the only thing - progress at the gym in terms of my abilities have skyrocketed, but I still want to see the scale move....

I know Rome wasn't built in a day - and as my husband told me - it DID take about 12 years to put on the extra 115 lbs, but still, I feel frustrated. I am tired of being 222.6 - thank you for reading this far! Off to the gym ....

Don't get too discouraged or you could end up totally sabatogeing your self. That is what I did. I was on a good path to weight loss. I had lost over 10 pounds but in mind that wasn't good enough and I gained it all back plus more because I let my self get so depressed so here I am again starting all over. I weighed this morning and I weigh 238.8 pounds. I started at 224 . I am determined to get the fat off of me and be healthy for once in my miserable life. You sound very motivated and dedicated. So just stick with it. I am proud of you and I am routing for ya!
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    thank you guys for the support and encouragement - it helps to hear from people who have been or are going through the same thing. :smile: