Exercise and a gain...are you kidding me?

Hi,

I'm discouraged. Last week I was ver strict with myself and exercised a lot (for me). I got in 25km for the week, plus I did haying too. I was under my calories every day too. I jump on the scale looking forward to a for sure loss and... I gained 0.3 lbs! Talk about a piss off!
1. I used the endomondo app, perhaps it is too generous with how many calories it said I burned? What do you think?
2. Perhaps my efforts will show next week...if I don't completely blow it this week.
3. Maybe the scale wasn't friendly but I feel a difference a bit in my body, could be possible, right?
Thoughts? Motivation please!

Dawn.

Replies

• chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    When you first start you might gain for a week or 2 as the fat turns into muscle. JUst stick with your plan and you will start losing by week 3.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    When a new exercise routine is introduces it puts extra stress on the muscles which they have to recover from. Part of the recovery process includes their retaining water. Most people see a slight gain for a few weeks and then it will drop off as your muscles get used to the new workload. Keep it up and don't stress too much about the scale, if you are feeling good then you are on the right track.

~Best wishes
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    When I workout, I don't see the benefits on the scale within 24 hours. Usually I see a drop 2-3 days later.

I will say a lot of fitness apps overestimate burns. I will only give myself 100 calories for non-steady-state cardio work/cardio+strength, like mulching my gardens, even if I did it for 4 hours.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    When you first start you might gain for a week or 2 as the fat turns into muscle. JUst stick with your plan and you will start losing by week 3.

That's not how this works...that's not how any of this works! Your fat does not turn into muscle. And it's really tough to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit.

OP, it's very likely water retention from the increase in activity. We all like to think that our efforts will pay off immediately but in most situations, that's just not how our bodies work. Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll see progress in no time.

Also, ditto on the calorie overestimate. You want to eat some of your exercise calories back but maybe only do 50-75% to be on the safe side.

Good luck!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    ...as the fat turns into muscle.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    ...as the fat turns into muscle.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The muscle fairy did it!
    fairy_new_trick_by_pokkuti-d70n2fz.jpg
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    I think maybe the app you're using to track is a bit over-generous on your calorie burn. Might be worth investing in a heart rate monitor to get a better idea of what you are really burning.

The slight gain, could just be a bit of water retention from the added activity. I find I usually hold a little extra water after a big workout. Muscle recovery and all that stuff ;)

Don't be discouraged! Just keep at it! It's a journey :)
  • rosalee513
    rosalee513 Posts: 3 Member
    When you exercise, it causes your muscles to swell, and this can cause a temporary weight gain. Also, muscle weighs more than fat. To stay motivated take your measurements and see if you have lost inches.
  • rosalee513
    rosalee513 Posts: 3 Member
    When you exercise, it causes your muscles to swell, and this can cause a temporary weight gain. Also, muscle weighs more than fat. To stay motivated take your measurements and see if you have lost inches.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Per volume. People here are very picky about pointing out that volume and density are important in comparing muscle and fat, much more so than with any other two substances in the universe.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    If you are certain you didn't eat more calories than you think, it really could be due to starting a new exercise program. About 5 or 6 weeks ago, I re-started Stronglifts 5X5. I gained 3lbs, and thought I looked super puffy. I had to keep reminding myself of what everyone on MFP says....water retention due to stress on muscles. It was a little nerving, but I know my diet was in check, so I was patient. After about two weeks, my weight finally went back down.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Weigh yourself before and after you poop, it'll make you feel better then.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    If you are certain you didn't eat more calories than you think, it really could be due to starting a new exercise program. About 5 or 6 weeks ago, I re-started Stronglifts 5X5. I gained 3lbs, and thought I looked super puffy. I had to keep reminding myself of what everyone on MFP says....water retention due to stress on muscles. It was a little nerving, but I know my diet was in check, so I was patient. After about two weeks, my weight finally went back down.
    This.

If your calories are where they need to be, you'll see the changes over time, even though there will be fluctuations.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member

Absolutely. A pound of fat on the scale weighs much less than a pound of muscle on the same scale.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member

When I started with my strength coach I put on a quick 4 pounds in two days. Took a couple weeks to get it off, but it was drastic. I weighed a day prior to starting with him, then at the end of the week, +4 pounds when on a deficit. I was grumpy.
  • cmcbride152
    cmcbride152 Posts: 7 Member
    I have the same issue. I couldn't believe that I actually gained weight at first, and now it's gone back down a few pounds, but that's about it. I've decided to stop using my scale and not worry about how much weight I've NOT lost but rather focus on the way my clothes fit and how I feel overall. There is such a difference in my body tone and shape, however, the scale will not budge! It's a lot harder for the weight to come off as we (women) get older, and true, muscle weighs more than fat. So...with that said, I think unless I am going to starve myself to really drop calories instead of eating a normal healthy diet I wouldn't go crazy about it. I eat well and work out 5 - 6 days a week. Keep up your hard work and you will see results.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member

Absolutely. A pound of fat on the scale weighs much less than a pound of muscle on the same scale.

A pound of muscle is more dense and compact than a pound of fat. But a pound is a pound. :wink:
  • It could be anything! Sodium intake, muscle gain, retaining water......drink water water and more water to cleanse your system. Don't let the scale dictate your mood!