Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hunger

chrs86
chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
So I quit drinking and started exercising and eating healthier but I never feel hungry. When I do eat I feel like I'm going to puke. I've always been thin and fit up until this year when I gained 35lbs from drinking almost everyday. Growing up and into my teens we hardly ever had food at home so I was used to eating cans of vegetables and lots of soups from the food bank, but that was years ago.Could this be my body adjusting to it's normal calorie needs until the weight comes off? Would appreciate some advice. Thanks..

Replies

• My guess is that you're withdrawing from alcohol.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Congrats on getting sober!

Have you seen a doctor since you quit drinking?
  • chrs86
    That's what I would think but even before that was a problem I didn't eat very much. It's worse now so it may be from the alcohol withdraw.
  • 126siany
    That's what I would think but even before that was a problem I didn't eat very much. It's worse now so it may be from the alcohol withdraw.

How long ago did you quit drinking?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    It does sounds like it is from the alcohol withdrawal but I still would visit a doctor.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    You are going through DTs and need to go see a doctor, just in case. But you are definitely doing the right thing. Hang in there.
  • Alcoholism and withdrawing from alcohol will both cause lack of hunger. You should probably talk to a doctor.
  • chrs86
    I tried calling a therapist but they told me they lost a person and were booked for months. So they referred me to AA. The only meeting I can attend is on Wed at 7pm .
  • chrs86
    Last time I drink was on July 13th. So not very long. Seems like forever though.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Congrats!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    More likely your body adjusting to no alcohol. I would get some calories, even if you aren't particularly hungry, as you will feel better in the long run. I peeked at your diary, and if you are actually logging everything you eat, then you are in trouble. 1) I'd go to a doctor and let him/her know the situation to see what they say. 2) I'd start with calorie and nutrient rich foods, so that you will be getting calories but eating less bulk. I'm thinking granola, cliff bars, nuts, etc. 3) I'd start to cut back on those processed foods and incorporate in more whole foods, fruits, and veggies, healthy protein. Hopefully your body will adjust, you'll hit your calorie requirements, and you will start to shed the weight.
  • chrs86
    My doc prescribed me Lexapro for depression and anxiety about a month ago to help. Guess I could give him a call. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    I tried calling a therapist but they told me they lost a person and were booked for months. So they referred me to AA. The only meeting I can attend is on Wed at 7pm because all the rest are in the morning and I'm home with the kidos.

If you're okay with AA, attend the meeting. You're no good to your kids unless you maintain your sobriety.

I'm sober, so I say that with all encouragement and empathy. Every day you abstain is a great success. You've managed to not drink for over a week. That really is worth celebrating. Just remember that every day you get through the day without drinking, you're rebuilding your life. I'm not a fan of AA myself, but they really do have it right in this regard: One day at a time.
  • 126siany
    My doc prescribed me Lexapro for depression and anxiety about a month ago to help. Guess I could give him a call. Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

The adjustment phase for the Lexapro could also change your sense of hunger, but if you're only about 10 days into sobriety, that's also probably playing a role.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I think it could be related to stopping drinking. My grandfather couldn't eat for weeks, he just ate small amounts and wasn't hungry. It eventually passed and he was able to eat normally again. So congratulations on being sober and stick with it! :-)