Just got engaged!

Options
emily2975
emily2975 Posts: 45 Member
Hi everyone,

Got engaged recently and looking for advice from other recent 'brides to be' who had significant weight they wanted to lose before their wedding. I'd like to lose at least 40lbs (ideally 60 but 40 is my minimum). I'm looking into getting a personal trainer, at least for the first month or two to get me into a routine, has anyone had good experiences with that approach? I have just over 12 months to reach my goal.

Thanks!

Replies

• court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I am getting married in September and have lost 13 lbs in the past 2 months! I have been doing it with the 21 Day Fix and just eating healthy and staying active. I keep a calendar with workouts, calories, and all that too. Add me and we can lose for our weddings together!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: I am not a recent bride to be.
    However, I know a touch about weight loss.
    Congratulations on your engagement.
    60 pounds in a year is a reasonable goal.
    Slower is better, so that your skin can adapt.
    Consume a reasonable caloric defecit - 15% to 20% less than your TDEE.
    Be extremely patient, be consistent, weigh your food.
    Lift weights - heavy weights, low repetitions - to improve muscle fiber density and muscle tone.
    Do cardio to improve your cardiovascular health and increase the metabolism of stored fat.

Take candid "before" pictures to compare progress when you're feeling down - - actually SEEING results will pick you up when you are down.
    The same with measurements. Stretches of time will go by where your scale weight is not changing, but your body composition will.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

My only advice would be that your diet is going to contribute more than exercise. Working with a personal trainer is great, but your diet is really going to be key, so make sure you set an appropriate calorie goal and maintain it. :)

Also, try not to focus so much on the number of pounds to lose. Just start now.

Again, congrats!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Remember he loves you the way you are or he wouldn't have proposed. 60lbs in a year is definitely doable. Also keep in mind that you buy your dress several months out. DO NOT BUY A DRESS THAT IS TOO SMALL.
  • emily2975
    emily2975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks!

Good tip about taking progress pictures, and I know it is much better to buy a dress and have to take it in then buy one too small and try to make it bigger!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your engagement. I'd say to save your money and scrap the personal trainer. Reasonable calorie deficit + strength training + a little cardio = all you need.