Frustrated with myself!! :(

Options
I started out this year strong and focused. Since January I've lost 4 inches in my waist and around 28 pounds. BUT...ever since our vacation in July, my workout motivation has been going in the wrong direction. I used to workout 5-6 times a week. Now, I'm lucky if I get in 2-3 workouts a week. I've gained some of my weight back but am mostly just maintaining.

I still have 31 pounds to go before the doctor is happy with my weight and another 20 pounds to go before I'm happy with my weight.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?! I am just so frustrated. I sit at a computer all day long wishing I was home working out. Then I go home and "life" takes over. By then, my motivation just goes right down the tubes. :(

Anyone else going through the same thing? I accomplished my main goals of curing two medical conditions by losing weight and running in a 5K. Now I feel like just looking for a magic number on the scale is not worth it.

Replies

• LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I am a goal person. I have to write down all of my goals small and large and then cross them off as I complete them. Add a few more mini goals to your list. I just added t my list weight 135 by a new gym suit. Hold weight 135 for two months straight and go away in the spring.
  • TealStar13
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I went through some issues earlier in the year and ever since then I haven't been able to get back on track. You're doing way better than I am though! I've stopped going to the gym. Bleh. We just need to focus again. Take it one day at a time. I know you can do it! :) Keep thinking of the positive changes that you are seeing in your life by being healthier!
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. I retuned to work after maternity leave 4 weeks ago and I haven't even LOOKED at my work-out dvds. I start the day full of good intentions but by the time I get home I have zero motivation or energy to do anything other than vegitate.

I hope I get some ideas soon!
  • justahorsen
    Options
    I know exactly what you are feeling....I was there for a few months myself and I'm just now trying to "bust through" the blaaa's....I have started doing some of my exercise in the morning (I get up at 4:30am so only do 1/2 mile that early) and that seems to help "rev" my day......then after being at the computer all day at work (9-10 hours) I find too many excuses to NOT do more.... now I'm trying to change that mentally one day at a time. Hopefully you can find time for YOU and the motivation to get out there and do it for YOU..... don't let the shortness of daylight slow your whole journey to a crawl (I decided that was part of my problem, after someone on MFP pointed it out to me.) Good luck with your struggle and remember that you have come this far....too late to turn back now!!!!
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you need a work out buddy. I RARELY or perhaps never feel like going to the gym, but by having someone else who goes with me I make myself go and I always feel better afterwards. You have to find a buddy who is really dedicated to getting to the gym. I am lucky becuase I was able to find that person right in my own house. It makes a difference, like to night are parent/teacher conferences and his birthday and I was thinking how nice it will be to just veg out after the conferences and he tells me that this works great and we can go to the gym from our daughter's conference. I wouldn't be going if it weren't for him, thank goodness one of us is excited to go.

I also have a group of friends at work and we are doing workouts during lunch. I know this is a problem for some because of the sweat, but I change before class and after our work out we have showers at the office or I can do a sponge bath. Anyway the point is, I have workout partners that I can count on 100%.

The next time you go to the gym see if you can post for a work out buddy or buddies. When you know some one is depending on you to be there, you get to the gym.

Good Luck!
  • doughick
    doughick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kbooth, 1st give yourself credit for what you have accomplished. You are doing great! Everyone hits a wall and faces the same challenges you are. Realize there is a huge difference between a relapse and a collapse. Change things up. Maybe it would be better to exercise in the morning before "life takes over" or maybe you need to change your exercise routine.

Again, you have done great. You are just 4 lbs away from your Thanksgiving goal! You have cured two medical conditions and have run a 5k? Awesome!! Don't be so hard on yourself. Losing weight and keeping it off is hard. If it was easy everyone would be skinny. Visualize how you would look and how you would feel when you reach your goal weight. It's OK to feel the way you do and once you make a mid-course correction you will recommit and refocus on your goal. Remember, you deserve to look great, feel great, and be happy. Hang in there.
  • kbooth
    kbooth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know I've accomplished a lot, but I know how much more I have to go. I don't have as much support at home as I would like and now that I've been working out for close to a year, the outside support from friends and family seems to have disappeared. They are happy for me and encourage me, but nowhere near as much as when I first started out.

I am really proud of myself this far, but I can't help but have a sense of contentment. I don't want to be content. I have a long way to go. I just don't know how to get over this feeling and get my butt up off the couch or away from the computer. GRRR!!!!
  • Mkrush
    Options
    It's OK. You just hit a plateau. Our bodies adjust to what we do. What makes us successful initially may need to change. Try a new activity that will challenge you in different ways. Keep the faith!
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    I'm actually feeling like this today. Something always helps me get through: just do SOMETHING. If I don't feel like going to the gym, I try and do a little something, even if it's just a few push-ups, to keep me on track. If I hold myself to doing the little things, somehow my body starts telling me that it wants to go workout.

Take those baby steps and your body will tell you what it wants.

And btw....awesome job so far on the weight loss, and don't do it for anyone's number, do it because you're doing the right thing for yourself.