Protein, Fat, Carb.....Advice needed

Options
Hi everyone. I am hoping to get some advice from you all.
I am currently 210lbs.....started on MFP at 219 and my top weight was 226lbs.

Anyways....I am logging everything I eat, and I am finding that I always go over in my protein (not by much....goal is 89 and eat about 100), am under in my carbs, and I am quite low in my fats. I am eating a very 'clean' diet......chicken for my protein, rice/yam/quinoa for my carbs, and the fats are always healthy fats....

I am losing weight, but I am just wondering if I should try and balance the macros more....

Any advice is great advice, thanks!!!! :)

Replies

• monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    Just cause MFP says something, doesn't make it the ideal for you. I was told to take your weight, cut it in half and eat that many grams of protein a day, so in my book, you could probably eat a few more grams of protein. Try eating more veggies and less complex carbs (like rice or quinoa). I think you are doing great! Keep up the good work!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    MFP sets their protein goal fairly low. Unless you have a reason not to, going into the red on protein is not a bad thing. In fact, I think most people should try to be in the red if they're using MFP's defaults.

Likewise, MFP also sets their fat goal fairly low. Don't fear the fat. You want to get enough in your diet to help with vitamin absorption, hormone balance, healthy skin and nails, etc. Again, don't be afraid to be in the red if you're using MFP's defaults.

If you'd rather reset the numbers to your own personal needs, aim for somewhere between .6-.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight and .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight as a minimum. But you can do your own research on what's best for your personal goals.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    MFP sets their protein goal fairly low. Unless you have a reason not to, going into the red on protein is not a bad thing. In fact, I think most people should try to be in the red if they're using MFP's defaults.

Likewise, MFP also sets their fat goal fairly low. Don't fear the fat. You want to get enough in your diet to help with vitamin absorption, hormone balance, healthy skin and nails, etc. Again, don't be afraid to be in the red if you're using MFP's defaults.

If you'd rather reset the numbers to your own personal needs, aim for somewhere between .6-.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight and .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight as a minimum. But you can do your own research on what's best for your personal goals.

I would agree with all of this. If I am low on the protein macro I feel fine, but as soon as I am low on the fat macro my body revolts. I literally become extremely tired and feel like a truck hit me. I found myself reaching for lower calorie foods, but unfortunately they were also too low in fat. I've had to reintroduce those foods.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've always tweaked my macros to fit my needs; MFP's are really high on the carbs which makes everything else too low. You can manually adjust your goals.

Click Goals on the My Home tab and then the "Change Goals" button. Select "Custom" then click "Continue". You'll see everything there and you can adjust accordingly.
  • myjourney16
    myjourney16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! :)
  • MissMariahLee
    MissMariahLee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery in May and I've read horror stories about people who lose their hair from not eating enough protein so I purposely try to go over! Plus protein keeps you fuller longer!