HELP!!!!!

Hello,
I am new and I am so lost. I am 190 lbs and am 24 and am 5'4:
I work out 3 times a week if not more. I do 20 mins of walking/jogging ang then do abs and arms.

MFP tells me no more then 1200 cal a day. I have been reading around here and am confused by other methods people are using. I carry all my weight in my stomach area.

Please help?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    what is your weekly weight loss goal at? 2lbs a week?

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Check your settings.
  • dexteropolis
    dexteropolis Posts: 17 Member
    Hi! I am new too. Good Luck on your weight loss! If you want, heidi23lynn, you can add me as a friend. I think I need to fix my settings too. Thanks SezxyStef!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    My stats are very similar to yours. (24, 5'4.5", female, 187.6lbs today anyway)

0.5lbs per week/sedentary: 1730
    1lb per week/sedentary: 1480
    1.5lb per week/sedentary: 1230
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Hello,
    I work out 3 times a week if not more. I do 20 mins of walking/jogging ang then do abs and arms.

MFP tells me no more then 1200 cal a day. I have been reading around here and am confused by other methods people are using. I carry all my weight in my stomach area.

Please help?

Read the please read me threads and all other stickied threads then ask questions ?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Keep in mind that MFP wants you to eat 1200 calories (that's a goal, not a maximum) and also it's going to add extra calories for you to eat after you log your workouts. So if you're using the site as it's designed then you'll actually be eating more than 1200 calories on those days.

*I'll add the caveat that certain activities may be overestimated if you're using MFP's estimates or a gym machine readout. If you are using those methods to estimate your burn then plan to eat more like 50-75% of those extra calories.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Hello,

Please help?

Read the please read me threads and all other stickied threads then ask questions ?

Read these threads....they will help you.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

Your ticker shows 2 small children. I truly doubt you are sedentary.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

Your ticker shows 2 small children. I truly doubt you are sedentary.

Oh I know I'm not. I have fitbit adjustments that account for that. :tongue:
    I eat over 2000 calories most of the time.

Although about a month ago, I truly was sedentary. I was recovering from a csection though.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Refer to PP regarding your weight-loss pacing. That's good stuff.

As for your workouts, etc. You may want to do a little research about how you work out. If you haven't put together a workout with a trainer or someone well versed in exercise, you may be naïve to what a GOOD workout is. You can spend days on the treadmill and not drop an ounce and you can lift too little weight and not burn any fat... The tricks to a good workout include heart rate tracking and intensity tracking. Pushing J U S T past your limits - outside the typical comfort zone - to really get a good workout. A full body workout can be completed in under an hour if you plan well.
    Now, I am not implying you should go put 50 lbs on a bar and start doing clean jerks, but do reevaluate. You may be working out at too low an intensity. It may be time to take it to the next level. Try mixed intensity cardio/weight circuits. Focus on core building exercises, too. That should help the stomach. If you self-support (not using a gym weight machine) when lifting weights, you work the body on the whole. What is simply a bicep curl on a machine can be back and ab strengthening, too, when standing appropriately. Again, if you can't invest in a trainer - even a session or two - do some serious research. You'll be empowered at the gym.

Oh, and related to exercise - you have to give your body proper fuel to exercise or else your metabolism will not respond well. Protein around a work out is good, too - a few nuts, a yogurt, or some cheese (portions!) Make sure you are eating some of your earned calories on workout days. You don't have to eat them all, but allow yourself a rejuvenating snack.