Anyone else getting nervous about Thanksgiving?

Options
2»

Replies

• Yarnpiggie
    Options
    you know, I survived Christmas last year and lost weight. It wasn't a normal Christmas, in that we couldn't have the normal celebrations due to weather. HOwever, i was trapped in the house for 5 days with my mother and the dog and all the cookies and candy i had made and brought with me. I snacked on the treats and when we finally did have our christmas dinner, on the last day, i ate, though i ate sparingly. I wasn't really able to work out during those days (did you see where I said we were trapped in the house? I meant that literally... the snow was piled half way up the door!) If you have good momentum, your body will continue reacting as though you are doing all the right things.

I really worry about all the people i see on here who are scared to eat anything. If we all just eat sensibly, and are realistic about what we are eating and the exercise we are doing,
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat pretty light during this week--incorporate as much exercise as possible !
    But Thanksgiving Day, I'm not holding anything back. :] My momma's cooking is too good for me to only have a little. I expect a couple of pounds to come about, but I won't stress about it. <3
  • red_five
    Options
    1 meal isn't going to sabotage your progress! Don't stress!

Enjoy the meal, eat your favorite dishes, utilize some portion control and 1 slice of pie or dessert. Drink lots of water all day! Get back on track on Friday!

I agree!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options
    I was very nervous last Thanksgiving. I'd been on MFP since August and had lost almost 15 pounds by Turkey Day. I've lost about 20 more since then and am at my goal weight, so I'm heading into the holiday season this year with less anxiety and more excitement, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still a little nervous. I think it's OK to worry enough to remind ourselves not to go hog wild (or to get back on track right away if we do go hog wild) but not so much that we don't enjoy ourselves. I'm expecting to be even less nervous next year, when I will have been maintaining my weight for a year longer than I have now. :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Glad to see some encouragement and know I am not alone! I think I'm just freaking more because it's going to be at my house this year and I'll be stuck with all the leftovers. I need my family to take all the desserts back home with them lol. I know turkey and veggies aren't bad, so I don't mind them being in the fridge but the rest.. I might be tempted

Don't be afraid to throw things away or bring it to work (or send with your SO to his work!).

The key to enjoying a holiday is to remember it's a holiDAY. One day.

And, for me, the food is a big part of enjoying it. I get to eat those things that once or twice a year and they taste good and for humans, it's a social experience to enjoy eating together. It can be done and enjoyed without overstuffing onesself, though.
  • orthpole
    orthpole Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, but I was told once to use a littler plate help with portion control. Try it, it works. Good luck