Hormonal weight gain?? So frustrating!

Options
So I have been at this for a few weeks now, and have been pretty consistently under my calorie goal for each day and exercise consistently. The first week, I lost 4 lbs. The next week I gained 4 pounds, probably from my mid-month hormonal gain. Then I went down 3 lbs last week, only to gain 6 lbs this week. I feel like I am on a crazy roller coaster of water weight gain. I have decided to stick to my guns and continue to exercise and eat right, despite what the scale says, but I have to admit that I am getting frustrated. I would eventually like to see the scale go down! Does anyone else have such large fluctuations in weight during their cycle?

Replies

• kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Are you watching your sodium and drinking lots of water?
  • Shaqueta
    Options
    I picked up 4 lbs a few days before my cycle started. I was pissed. just drink water and it'll soon pass. Don't let the #'s get you down. Stay positive and it'll reflect
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    Some woman gain up to 10 pounds during their cycle. I wouldn't even weigh yourself during that time.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yes! I have terrible weight fluctuations! I agree, it's very frustrating. I do find upping my water intake helps.
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    another thing to try is to only weigh yourself in the morning before eating or drinking anything. my weight can fluctuate like CRAZY even throughout just one day!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes feel? Friends making comments? Look in the mirror better? Put the scale away...really not a good berometer for seeing results..maybe 15th & 30th of the month weigh in...:wink: Toning produces more weight on the scale!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I woke up yesterday morning and wondered if there was ANY water left in the atmosphere. My wedding rings are usually large on me since the 23 pound loss... yesterday (and today) I couldn't even bend my fingers and my rings were suffocating me. I was waiting to turn over to see I had drained all the water out of my husband while we slept and he was an empty dried up husk.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    if your frustrated with the scale. try measuring yourself. I was frustrated, because I would lose some and gain some. but when I decided to get the tape measure out, I actually lost 1" from my waist this month! even though the scale has beening jumping around.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am actually late (which is pretty normal for me) but when that happens I retain the water weight I would have during my TOM until I actually get it which is no fun if it decides to take extra long and come a month or so late. I am up right now by 3 lbs and it is really peeving me off but it happens all the time. I just try to keep in mind that it will be off sometime soon.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    lots to consider:
    eating out (even eating low cal out, it may have lots of sodium)
    eating high sodium foods.
    are you eating enough calories?
    are your workouts consistent from week to week?

consistent eating, variety in your eating program and consistent exercise will pay off. consider measuring yourself and only doing it every 30 days. throwing the scales out the window may be the best for a healthy lifestyle and keeping you on track.

cheering you on!
    Jane
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Don`t get discouraged.Hormones can play havoc on your body.Juts keep doing what you know is right,maybe more water.You`ll see a change.
    Jane
  • blottig
    Options
    WOW - thank you all so much for the encouragement! :)

I am not tracking my sodium intake, but I will. Can we do that here on MFP? And I have been drinking water pretty well, but slipped a bit this weekend. I'm sure between that, eating soup yesterday (sodium nightmare) & having my TOM coming, it explains the 6 lb. gain.

It is encouraging to hear that other people deal with this & that it will pass. I just have to keep my eyes focused on my goals and not let it get me down. Thanks again for the support - wish I could hug you all!

Beth
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    WOW - thank you all so much for the encouragement! :)

I am not tracking my sodium intake, but I will. Can we do that here on MFP? And I have been drinking water pretty well, but slipped a bit this weekend. I'm sure between that, eating soup yesterday (sodium nightmare) & having my TOM coming, it explains the 6 lb. gain.

It is encouraging to hear that other people deal with this & that it will pass. I just have to keep my eyes focused on my goals and not let it get me down. Thanks again for the support - wish I could hug you all!

Beth

Yes, you can track your sodium on MFP.
    You can track up to 6 different nutrients and change them up from time to fime if you want.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Mine starts fluctuating from my TOM as much as a week and a half to two weeks before! I retain water even if I drink all of my water and it's just no fun. Damn tempting apples.