Sweat during workouts?

WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I am noticing I'm sweating a lot less during my workouts. I walk occasionally and at a average speed so I know its normal not to sweat much there. I do wii workouts and I tend to sweat doing wii boxing on wii fit plus, tae bo (once in a while) I don't sweat that much during turbo jam (my hair gets a little sweaty thats it) I notice my heart rate is up as I feel it beating through my chest at times. Does it matter by weight on sweats as someone 150 lbs and 250 lbs?

Replies

• MunchkinHawk12
    MunchkinHawk12 Posts: 434 Member
    I feel that when I'm doing aerobics classes at the gym versus at home that I sweat more at the gym. I don't know if it is because I'm more competitive while working out with other people, but I definitely notice a difference.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    From my own personal experience, I have noticed that the better shape I am in, the more I sweat.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    I don't sweat a lot period so I usually just throw on a jacket to make sure I am getting that good sweat. :)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    I sweat like an animal--it's embarrassing sometimes! But I have always been that way. I figure that the "air conditioning" system in my body works reallly well!

Seriously, though, make sure you are not overheating. My father did not sweat, and he died of heatstroke while working outside in moderate heat (88-90 degrees Farenheit).
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Sweat is not an indicator of exercise intensity. It is merely an indicator of your body needing to cool itself and its efficiency at doing so. If you are doing those workouts in different environments (gym vs home; summer vs winter) then you will have different sweat levels. The size or weight of the individual doesn't matter either. What matters is the fitness level of the individual and the nutritional quality of the food they intake. The better shape you are in and the more nutritional the food you consume, the more you will sweat. This is because the body is functioning better at a cellular level so that it can more efficiently cool the body to maintain a safe core temperature.

Also, from the strange things we learn in exercise physiology file, it is actually better for the bodies cooling system to leave the sweat on the body as opposed to wicking it away with cool new fabrics or wiping it away with a towel while working out. The actual cooling comes from the evaporation off the skin, not the loss of water. Wiping it away will actually cause you to sweat more to keep trying to cool the body. Sweating more can cause you to risk dehydration. So, regardless of what you choose to do about your sweating, drink plenty of water if you are sweating. If it is a lot of sweating, grab a sports drink to replace electrolytes too.
  • Sweat is not an indicator of exercise intensity. It is merely an indicator of your body needing to cool itself and its efficiency at doing so. If you are doing those workouts in different environments (gym vs home; summer vs winter) then you will have different sweat levels. The size or weight of the individual doesn't matter either. What matters is the fitness level of the individual and the nutritional quality of the food they intake. The better shape you are in and the more nutritional the food you consume, the more you will sweat. This is because the body is functioning better at a cellular level so that it can more efficiently cool the body to maintain a safe core temperature.

Also, from the strange things we learn in exercise physiology file, it is actually better for the bodies cooling system to leave the sweat on the body as opposed to wicking it away with cool new fabrics or wiping it away with a towel while working out. The actual cooling comes from the evaporation off the skin, not the loss of water. Wiping it away will actually cause you to sweat more to keep trying to cool the body. Sweating more can cause you to risk dehydration. So, regardless of what you choose to do about your sweating, drink plenty of water if you are sweating. If it is a lot of sweating, grab a sports drink to replace electrolytes too.

great info here. my hydration level also show up in my workouts. if i am lacking in water, i am dryer during my workouts.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    .....Also, from the strange things we learn in exercise physiology file, it is actually better for the bodies cooling system to leave the sweat on the body as opposed to wicking it away with cool new fabrics or wiping it away with a towel while working out. The actual cooling comes from the evaporation off the skin, not the loss of water. Wiping it away will actually cause you to sweat more to keep trying to cool the body. Sweating more can cause you to risk dehydration. So, regardless of what you choose to do about your sweating, drink plenty of water if you are sweating. If it is a lot of sweating, grab a sports drink to replace electrolytes too.

Very interesting!

I usually wipe mine off of my face, but you saying that is making me decide to leave it next time. Thanks!
  • You know, I really think it all depends on the person. I'm about 10 pounds heavier than my husband. We do the exact same workout with the exact same effort and he sweats like a leaky fosset while I barely break a sweat. I don't get it either!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    I was also going to say that when you sweat, it's actually your body trying to coll itself down because your body temp is above average.

I must admit though, if I don't have a good sweat on I don't feel like I worked out. I blame that on Insanity! hahahaha I realized now that it's more of the intensity level, so I add extra workouts in. At the moment I'm on break from Insanity but so want to get back in it especially with the holiday season!!
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    i never sweat when i work out. i feel like im dying, my heart is pouding so i know im getting a good workout but the most i ever get is a little sticky on my forehead..it sucks cause i feel like im not working out enough because i dont sweat but im beat after i do, so i think it depends on the person.
This discussion has been closed.