gluten free people. Please don't alienate your family.

Options

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who's wife insisted the entire family go gluten free- to lose weight. ??? (Which I am still trying to wrap my head around). When I asked her point blank, she didn't even know what gluten was or understand the difference between gluten and carbs. And mind you, she is an intelligent woman with a degree, gainfully employed with a great job. She decided to go gluten free after her nutritionist suggested it.

I have no idea where her nutritionist got her degree (or if she even has one) but gluten-free has NOTHING to do with weight loss. Organic sugar is still sugar. Organic calories are still calories. Organic, gluten free carbs are still carbs.

This is one fad I will not miss once its gone.

Eh.

Anything that cuts out foods from the diet can be effective for weight loss, so long as the foods are not replaced with other things of equal or greater caloric density.

I get what you're saying and the nutritionist's advice was moronic if that's all there was to it, but people do have success with weight loss eating gluten free. Not because of teh glutenz, but because it simply facilitates less eating of many calorie-dense foods.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    OP, my mom is like this with every fad diet out there. I hope for your sake she calms down after a while. But if not, have fun with it. Bring her some fancy gluten free almonds as a gift. Or make her a gluten free jello mold.

I gave my mom a gift basket of low carb meats and cheeses for Christmas. :flowerforyou:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Bring her cats some High protein, grain-free, gluten-free, dehydrated, cage free turkey food. The more labels you can stack on the food the more healthy it must be.

grace-grain-free-cat-food-4-lb-new_1.png
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it could be worse.

she could have become a vegan
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This gluten-free thing is just another fad like the low carb craze several years ago. It'll die it's own death soon enough.

I love how all the meats in the stores are labeled "Gluten free" as if bacon or chicken were harvested from wheat. It's just a dumb fad that will disappear eventually. "Look, gluten-free water. ZOMG!!"

My sister is celiac and VERY sensative to any cross contamination. By labeling meats, etc- it means that the meat hasn't come into contact with gluten in a processing plant, etc. It assures the consumer that there has been no possible cross contamination.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm celiac and I rarely discuss being gluten free. Basically if you offer me something I can't have I will say "no thanks" if you press the issue I will explain I have celiac disease and have to eat GF. If she's truly celiac then the need for gluten free certified oats is real. I doubt she'd be able to know they weren't certified by taste or within seconds of eating the cornbread however. More typically you'd get ill hours or a day later and then question the oats. I allow my husband to have gluten stuff in the house provided it isn't something that will get crumbs everywhere and that he prepares/cleans up after himself.

Interesting- my sister can usually tell within 10-20 minutes, as there is an immediate bathroom run!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE to visit my mom. I drove 6 hours to see her at least every other weekend for years. Yes, she's gone on tangents before, but she has never been so adamantly preachy and annoying about it before.
  • c2sky
    Options
    Is she gluten free because she has been diagnosed with Celiac disease or because it has become a fad lately and she has self-diagnosed a gluten problem?
    I have a close friend who has a child with Celiac disease and, over time if not controlled, there are serious complications. People jumping on the gluten free craze actually make it more difficult for people who have Celiac disease and have no choice but to live gluten free.There is a definitive test for Celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Unless she has been diagnosed with either, there is no real reason to go gluten free. If she has just hopped on the bandwagon, she will most likely jump off and move onto the next big thing. You can either be really patient or talk very honestly with her.

Edit....notice you said she has neither Celiac disease or intolerance but has she actually been tested? Maybe a negative test result from a Doctor would calm her down a bit.
    She is self diagnosed. I have asked her if she has been tested for celiac. She says it doesn't matter. She is gluten intolerant.
  • c2sky
    Options
    It's a fad, it will die off soon!

And then she'll glom onto the next one.

OP you have my sympathy. That would drive me bat-**** crazy. I'd probably show up at her doorstep wearing a suit made of bread.

thanks....I needed that ;)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm a vegetarian, allergic to wheat and don't eat sugar... but i don't feel the need to impress this on anyone. i eat what i eat, they can eat what they eat. people who go on and on about their latest fad diets or fad exercise drive me (and probably everyone) nuts.

that being said, i'm grateful for the gluten-free fad, as it means there's a lot more baked goods and stuff that's whea-free that i can get without going to whole foods, and there are more there, too. heck, i live by 2 gluten-free bakeries *LOL*
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hope the fad doesn't end anytime soon. As someone with Celiac, I actually have access to affordable, convenient options for treats or decent hamburger buns.

Dammit! Now I want a burger...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The same can be said of Paleo, low carb and vegan dieters. Taking things to an extreme can alienate the world. Unfortuantely these people usually will not listen to reason or even scientific fact. They will live in their own little world and wonder how you are losing weight and they are still gaining.

ETA

I had trouble explaining to some one that the grilled meat and steamed vegetables I made were gluten free. There was no gluten free sign on the meat package nor on the bag I brought the broccoli home from the store in. I even used an organic GLUTEN FREE seasoning blend to season it.(This did have a label)

Get this, I have a box of sugar in the cupboard, it has a big label on it that says, "Gluten Free Food".

No ****.

ETA - Want to really mess up one of those doop-dee-doos?
    I made some sausage recently, and explained the process of kneading the mix to develop the glutens in the meat.
    "Whoa whoa whoa whoa, there isn't gluten in meat!"
    So I kept the chucklehead going for a few minutes about all the glutens in meat. Then I let them know that I just didn't mean wheat gluten.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I hope the fad doesn't end anytime soon. As someone with Celiac, I actually have access to affordable, convenient options for treats or decent hamburger buns.

Dammit! Now I want a burger...
    There are enough people with a real allergy that I'd hope gluten-free options are here to stay. Last I read it's estimated that 15% of the population has at least some level of gluten intolerance. As I mentioned earlier, even more probably have a sensititivity to lectins. With all of the genetic engineering of wheat that's been done over the last 50 years or so, it's probably going to get worse rather than better. At the very least "the fad" has assisted everyone with a real problem by making it economically viable for more businesses to create gluten free options.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Well that can be said about any restricted diet to be honest.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Is she gluten free because she has been diagnosed with Celiac disease or because it has become a fad lately and she has self-diagnosed a gluten problem?
    I have a close friend who has a child with Celiac disease and, over time if not controlled, there are serious complications. People jumping on the gluten free craze actually make it more difficult for people who have Celiac disease and have no choice but to live gluten free.There is a definitive test for Celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Unless she has been diagnosed with either, there is no real reason to go gluten free. If she has just hopped on the bandwagon, she will most likely jump off and move onto the next big thing. You can either be really patient or talk very honestly with her.

Edit....notice you said she has neither Celiac disease or intolerance but has she actually been tested? Maybe a negative test result from a Doctor would calm her down a bit.
    She is self diagnosed. I have asked her if she has been tested for celiac. She says it doesn't matter. She is gluten intolerant.

When I was having problems I got tested for Celiac disease. It was negative but I did test positive for a wheat allergy on an allergy test. If she's got neither then she is hopping on a fad bandwagon.
  • c2sky
    Options
    I don't imagine going gluten-free changed her personality. She's probably always been like this, just about other things. The first sentence was probably enough information.
    I used to LOVE to visit my mom. I drove 6 hours to see her at least every other weekend for years. Yes, she's gone on tangents before, but she has never been so adamantly preachy and annoying about it before.
  • c2sky
    Options
    Theres nothing wrong with the fat and sugar in the s' mores. It's delish.
    Same with apple pie and etc.

Stahp with the sugar shaming already
    For a person (in this case, my mom, to preach to me about how healthy going gluten free is....to make sugary desserts every day....I'll say something. I think it's stupid. All that stuff is fine once in a while, but don't offer me s'amores and tell me how damn healthy it is.
    Anyway, yeah, I need to have a nice talk with her and tell her I would like to discuss things other than food.
  • c2sky
    Options
    The same can be said of Paleo, low carb and vegan dieters. Taking things to an extreme can alienate the world. Unfortuantely these people usually will not listen to reason or even scientific fact. They will live in their own little world and wonder how you are losing weight and they are still gaining.

ETA

I had trouble explaining to some one that the grilled meat and steamed vegetables I made were gluten free. There was no gluten free sign on the meat package nor on the bag I brought the broccoli home from the store in. I even used an organic GLUTEN FREE seasoning blend to season it.(This did have a label)

Get this, I have a box of sugar in the cupboard, it has a big label on it that says, "Gluten Free Food".

No ****.

ETA - Want to really mess up one of those doop-dee-doos?
    I made some sausage recently, and explained the process of kneading the mix to develop the glutens in the meat.
    "Whoa whoa whoa whoa, there isn't gluten in meat!"
    So I kept the chucklehead going for a few minutes about all the glutens in meat. Then I let them know that I just didn't mean wheat gluten.

That's hilarious :laugh:
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Theres nothing wrong with the fat and sugar in the s' mores. It's delish.
    Same with apple pie and etc.

Stahp with the sugar shaming already
    For a person (in this case, my mom, to preach to me about how healthy going gluten free is....to make sugary desserts every day....I'll say something. I think it's stupid. All that stuff is fine once in a while, but don't offer me s'amores and tell me how damn healthy it is.
    Anyway, yeah, I need to have a nice talk with her and tell her I would like to discuss things other than food.

I can actually sympathise with this line of thinking.

It's like the people who lecture me about how unhealthy diet soda is, while drinking regular soda. Right...

We all have our dietary vices, and people lecturing you about yours can get a tad.. annoying. Especially when theirs are so obvious.

I do agree with another poster. You really need to discuss this with your mom. It does not sound normal, and sounds a big concerning.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and in the beginning it was all I could talk about. LOL. Your mother will get over it.

I also cheat once in a while but it no longer affects me the way it used to because my gut has pretty much healed from being gluten free for so long.

I'm glad it's become a fad cause of all the options out there now. There wasn;t nearly as much 8 years ago when I was diagnosed,