Holidays

karenjoy
karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
lol I said to my Canadian Husband, everyone on My fitness pal is apparently going on holiday, it's a funny time of year isn't it?

He tells me that you North American types call Christmas and Thanksgiving 'holidays' and what we call holidays is 'vacation' to you. Hence the confusion!

I was recently asked by a Canadian friend on facebook what we were having for thanksgiving dinner, and she was very shocked to discover we don't have thanksgiving in England.

So what I want to know is, if you eat turkey and all the trimmings for thanksgiving, what do you have for Christmas? Goose? Pheasant? Duck?

For our Christmas dinner this year, like most others, we plan to have Turkey, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, mini sausages wrapped in bacon, stuffing, brussel sprouts, peas, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, Yorkshire pudding, bread sauce, cranberry sauce and gravy. We usually have a starter, last year it was prawn cocktail (bit retro) and the year before smoked salmon mousse, this year I am not sure if I will do a starter or not. To finish we have Christmas pudding with brandy sauce...nom nom

On Boxing day we usually have left over turkey, gammon, jacket (baked) potatoes and bubble and squeak with baked beans.

Replies

• bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    My family has a very strict ritual for the Thanksgiving meal, but when it comes to Christmas, we actually get creative and just plan something around what everyone wants or hasn't had in a while. Last year we grilled steaks. My kids have already put in a request this year for shrimp.
  • Hahaha! I find it funny your friend didn't realize that you don't have Thanksgiving. Being a holiday (in the U.S.) based around the pilgrims getting all settled in I don't know why you would have it. lol

My family tends to have turkey on both. This year though my hubby and I are campaigning for Christmas duck.

Plenty of families do turkey on one or neither, replacing it instead with traditional family food. My in-laws revel in Cajun heritage food and some others I know make a whole of their family's traditional Italian meals. I think for the most part people tend to do the heritage food on Christmas and turkey on Thanksgiving, but some do both.

Personally, my family likes turkey and the only "heritage" style food we make is Yankee bread dressing (I'm in Louisiana, so that is actually odd down here). Occasionally my mother opts for a ham for Christmas however. I think it all boils down to family tradition.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    In my family, Christmas is Turkey again or Ham...or both. In our family, how we eat at Thanksgiving is pretty much how we eat at Christmas EXCEPT there's a TON more candies, fudges, and other assorted sweets at Christmas.:bigsmile: My own family (hubby,son & I) like to have a special breakfast too, which we do not do at Thanksgiving. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    all I can say is WOW to anyone who is shocked that other countries dont celebrate thanksgiving lol

We normally do turkey both times because I love turkey and only get it on the holidays.
  • karenjoy
    Special breakfast sounds good! At home growing up we always had a 'special' breakfast, usually grapefruit then a full english! Can't beleive we ate that and then had turkey dinner later on!
  • karenjoy
    and they do Thanksgiving in Canada too, but its been and gone x
This discussion has been closed.