Dining out has lost it's appeal..

Options
hj1119
hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
I passed a state exam yesterday and the hubs and I want to celebrate! Woooo hoo! The only problem? I can't for the life of me decide where I want to go.

Now that I'm so meticulous with tracking my intake and seeing real results both on and off the scale, the last thing I want to do is put my progress in someone else's hands - even for just a meal.

I know I should learn to relax a little but not let one meal bother me, but it's hard. Anyone else find that going out to eat has lost it's appeal?

And also - where should we go out to eat?! :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In a way yes...there are certian resturants I will go to still because I know the food is soooooooooo good...I mean amazing...neither are chains so it's hard to even guess the calories but I do my best...

Yes relax...you passed your state exam that's a big deal...

One meal is not going to derail you at all.

If I had a choice I would choose a resturant where the food was so good I couldn't make it at home...for me there is a little resturant about 30mins from here that has the best pasta anywhere...or there is a canteen type resturant that has seafood...it is sooo good...
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Really? You don't want to put your progress in someone else's hands for one meal? Eat where you want, just pre-log. It's actually more empowering knowing that you can still eat at regular places and not worry. It won't be perfect, but no need to become compulsive about it. If f you can't decide, let your husband choose where he wants to go.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    Since we have the internet it is great looking up calories at restaurants, I know I do it at Logans, Red Lobster and others. I do like eating at home (cant believe it), use to eat out all the time but I can get more from the buck at home if you know what I mean. Gosh I get 2 or 3 times the food at home because restaurant stuff has so many calories but I do go to fast food maybe once or twice a week (use to be everyday) and log those calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I don't mind chains, but local restaurants can be a real pain... I have to wing it a lot. I just have to remember that healthier food can be just as tasty as the stuff that has more calories... but yeah, it's just one meal. Enjoy it.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    May I encourage you to give it a go.

I've developed all manor of reactions to foods and smells so I have a very very restricted palate of foods I can eat safely, with no symptoms otherwise symptoms can last days. Also were that not enough I get the same problems from the perfumes and laundry residual smells from fellow diners and scents used by premises to make them attractive. I hope to discover what is causing it soon.

Be brave have a good evening with the best company going and relax. It is only one night and common sense will keep you safe.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    not sure if you have it around you, but if you do, try Seasons 52.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    If the concern is really disappointment in the meal then perhaps you should suggest dinner at home but perhaps buying something you don't necessarily eat often because of the cost.
    Another option is having dinner at home and springing on a fabulous dessert.

Food doesn't need to be the only type of reward though, it's the only way many people know how to celebrate. There's nothing wrong with saying I really would rather we do _____ than go out to dinner.

Congratulations on your accomplishment and good luck making a decision.
  • TXGirl78028
    Options
    Congrats on passing the exam.

I too have been having a hard time with eating out. It's easier to log accurately when you can measure and know exactly what's gone into your meal. I've relaxed a bit with the chain restaurants where you can find nutrition info online, but it still makes me uneasy when I go to someone else's home or a small local place with no calorie info.

Today my husband and I took a friend out to a local place to celebrate her birthday. The place serves Italian, Cajun, and some miscellaneous fare. My husband had a burger, my friend had chicken parmesan, and I had soup/salad with one dinner roll. I did my best at logging calories based on some generic similar items in the database. I erred I hope on the high side, just to make sure I was covered. I was satisfied with my lunch and still had a good time.

I plan to do some exercise tonight to help cushion the blow and give me a few calories back for dinner - but I'll keep it light.

I figure any "plan" that you want to work long term you're going to have to figure out how to eat out - whether that's at restaurants or other peoples homes - maybe not a ton, but enough so you can be comfortable for the long haul. Any diet where you tell yourself you CAN'T do something is one you probably won't stay with for long.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I passed a state exam yesterday and the hubs and I want to celebrate! Woooo hoo! The only problem? I can't for the life of me decide where I want to go.

Now that I'm so meticulous with tracking my intake and seeing real results both on and off the scale, the last thing I want to do is put my progress in someone else's hands - even for just a meal.

I know I should learn to relax a little but not let one meal bother me, but it's hard. Anyone else find that going out to eat has lost it's appeal?

Pick a place
    Look at the menu ahead of time
    Choose what you will eat.
    Log it for the day
    adjust other meals if needed
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

A NICE Steak House.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can also look for other ways to celebrate like a couple's massage or play or concert at your local community theater.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I'd go out for Korean, Thai, or sushi probably. I also like Mexican.

For me...dining out is still a fun thing that I enjoy and look forward to. But it's definitely changed, too. I used to go out to eat probably 6 times a week, if not more, and a lot of times it was just "meh" food. I was like many people who just go to Chick-Fil-A or Outback Steakhouse after work or with my SO...more out of habit than anything...consuming tons of calories and not enjoying it much more than a typical homemade meal (often LESS).

Now I go out to eat 1-3 times a week and I'd better freakin' LOVE it. Sometimes my husband and I plan trips/weekends and hiking excursions around specific restaurants we want to try and foods we want to indulge in. To a lot of people that is probably a weird obsession or unhealthy relationship with food...whatever ;-) We enjoy it.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I LOVE going out to eat. It's one of my most favourite social activities. I try to pick a place that offers calorie info online, but if not I do my best to estimate. And it hasn't hindered my progress one bit :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Sushi! The real stuff, not the rolls with all the cream cheese and tempura stuff. Nigiri, sashimi, salmon roll. Low cal and delicious.

I only eat out once a week and that's on Sunday after I have had a morning run. Then we go get sushi and follow up with some froyo. My lunch might add up to 600 calories or so and that includes the froyo.
  • hj1119
    Options
    I just don't trust even chain restaurants nutrition facts online. I worry about getting that one cook at a chain restaurant that's heavy handed with the mayo or whatever. I watched someone the other day pour about half a cup of olive oil into the water that they were about to boil cauliflower in. Just.. WHY!? I just have no way of knowing whether someone got sloppy and decided to mix some bacon grease in with the potato salad, or used three ladle scoops of melted butter instead of one when they made my "heart healthy low cal" tilapia.

I also don't trust myself with a basket of chips at the Mexican restaurant ;)
  • hj1119
    Options
    I wish my husband liked sushi :( I love me some sashimi!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    imho: learning to navigate "the real world" is part of a lifestyle. A true lifestyle.

Go out, celebrate! Order what you want, how you want it.
    Get a nice grilled fish with some roasted vegetables.
    Have salad and dessert if that suits you
    Get a steak, and eat as much as you believe is a reasonable amount
    Order fajitas, and limit the number of tortillas

Ask for sauces and dressings on the side, and use what you want.

There are lots of great dishes out there. Go eat them!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We eat out frequently. Probably 3 to 4 times a week. I'll echo the person above who said you have to learn to live in the real world. Don't let the fear of a stray pat of butter rule your life.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    imho: learning to navigate "the real world" is part of a lifestyle. A true lifestyle.

I would also add that one meal is pretty much meaningless in the grand scheme of things and you probably need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture here. You don't overindulge one meal and all of a sudden pack on a bunch of fat...it doesn't work that way.

I actually enjoy eating out more now because it is more of a rarity for us...being a treat for us, we tend towards higher end establishments that are local...the food is awesome and we just enjoy.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I agree, I would go somewhere special. Look at Yelp or sites like that for different restaurants in your area. I love trying new foods while out.....enjoy, don't stuff yourself, take your leftovers home for lunch the next day. And congratulations on your exam!