To weigh or not to weigh?

Options
I am a veteran dieter. Started at 14, so...uh...ack. 33 years of this. I am tired of the starts and stops and the ups and downs. It always comes back. For the past few years now, I've opened myself up to anything and everything that I can possibly do. Giving up wheat, sugar, alcohol, meat....not usually all at once, but you get the idea. And here I am, heavier than ever.

So, I'm trying the 6 small meal a day route. 20 days in and it's very comfortable. One thing I'm trying hard to do is AVOID THE SCALE. I only just this morning got on it for the first time to give me some kind of "starting" place. And now I'm going to stay away for a month at least.

Here's why. I feel that if I am to make permanent, life-long changes in the way that I eat, the focus of this effort needs to be creating a daily pattern of healthy eating, regardless of what the scale says. If I do it right, the weight will come off. But the GOAL is permanence, not movement of the scale. The weight-loss is a by-product. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Does anyone else share this method for trying to create permanent change? What have you done to make solid changes like this?

Replies