Just to make sure I've got this right

Options
I reached my goal weight (hooray!) and then some. My goal weight was 125 and I now weigh around 120-121. MFP allows me 1600 maintnance calories which I usually eat every day, but I burn 400-600+ calories a day with exercise. Can I be eating those back now? I'm STARVING all the time lately! I set my activity to sedentary because if I ever don't want to exercise, I have the option and I know how many calories I can eat, but I've never missed a day working out in the 3 months I've been using this.

Also, should my NET calories reach 1600? Or do I ignore those? Thanks!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes eat your exercise calories or at least some of them...

ETA:maitenance can be tricky...when I entered it I had reversed dieted up to my maitenance and continued to lose...so I had to up again...but that being said set yourself a weight range....eat back your exercise calories...some or all and if you start to gain cut back on those calories...it will always be tweaking...but allow for a range.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone who uses MFP to set their calorie goal should be eating back at least a portion of their exercise calories. I recommend a portion because MFP or gym machines may overestimate the amount burned doing certain exercises. But I'm sure that you already know you may need a little trial and error to find your maintenance range.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat your maintenance calories and your exercise calories. This will give you your net calories for the day.

MFP's calorie setting is a guestimate. If you're always hungry, they may be too low for you. Monitor your weight. If you are dropping, eat more.

ETA: yes, when eating back your exercise calories, MFP's calories burned may be too high.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your goal weight.

I tend to eat back about half of my exercise calories. On the days I do a hard workout I'm not usually hungry but the next day I am so I sort of flex the calories a bit.

One really big thing I would suggest is not to pick a specific weight as your goal, instead pick a range, say 120-125, it'll give you a little wiggle room so you don't panic at the scale when it shakes a little.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Yes, in your case I would definitely start eating those calories back, or a portion of them.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If your exercise is regular, just dial up the calories slowly until you reach a point where your weight is holding steady maybe ?
  • cece5300
    cece5300 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I definitely don't go by the elliptical or MFP usually. I have a Polar ft4 that I usually go by. Good to know now I can eat back at least some of my calories. I have off today and all I've done is snack! I know I need more protein and fat and less carbs but I'm a poor grad student so I know I don't make the best food choices.

I also like the idea of setting a weight range instead of a specific weight. Thanks for the advice, everyone!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would eat all of them back. I always try to.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I'm in the same boat..passed my goal weight and still losing at 1650 a day but I'm not eating all my exercise back either.