Strength Training WITHOUT the Gym Membership?

Options

Replies

• mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you!! And I really like that playground idea...they should make gyms more like playgrounds, monkey bars and all :)

The Runtastic Pump-It Apps can be used anywhere: at home, at a playground, with a stairwell, etc. They're simple to use, don't require much of your time, and lotsa' fun to use. Your imagination makes them even better. You'll appreciate the results, too. Enjoy.
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Read the book "new rules of weighlifting for women" then start looking at garage sales for dumbells. You can good Stronglifts 5x5 as well. Good luck!!!!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    some of our local playgrounds have adult weight training equipment that uses bodyweight - i remember seeing a pec fly machine, tripceps press down machine and several more. maybe if you look up your local parks you'll discover some have machines like those, although i just looked and the two parks closest to me don't even list the adult fitness equipment - it's just there.
    Awesome. Thank you!! And I really like that playground idea...they should make gyms more like playgrounds, monkey bars and all :)
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like You are Your Own Gym. I have the Android app and the book. They have adjustable 10 week programs. I like the app because it is interactive.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    To make life super simple....download Sworkit or Nike Training Club (NTC). Both have just about every type of workout you could dream of, are free, and include how-to videos on all exercises. You can customize how long the workout is. They cover both strength and HIIT workouts. They are on Android and iOS.

Also, you can checkout BodyBuilder.com. They have an awesome tool to let you search for workouts that target specific muscle groups. Have fun, strength training rocks!
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas :)
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Bump to keep the great ideas coming!
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options

I just did this routine yesterday after 10 min. of running on the treddy. I cannot feel my legs. Lol, kicked my *kitten*. Fitness Blender is awesome too! Also, check out blogilates for more great bodyweight workouts.
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have the book Body By You which is 'female' version of You Are Your Own Gym ... but I haven't started my routine either. I plan to very soon. Thanks for the reminder.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I lieu of a gym membership we just purchased a barbell and plates and a bench with squat rack. The new bench we got has the leg curl and leg extension attachment. Plus we already had an EZ bar and some other plates as well as dumbbells and such.

Same here. I got all this at JCPenney for 129$. Plus it had a lateral pulldown attachment.
    Amazon is good for low cost equipment too.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You could get kettlebells, or dumbbells and YouTube has many free routines. Those are very simple to do at home.

I am a huge fan of kettlebells. Intense workout with limited equipment. buy a DVD or you-tube it. Eventually you can make your own routine.
  • shadesof66
    shadesof66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cant go wrong with anything from Beachbody....Im a Tony Horton fan...and so P90x, x2, x3 - any of these will get you to where you want to go...:smile: Good Luck!!
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • gymbeer
    gymbeer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Checkout Nerd Fitness.com. It's what I do. It changed my life. They have 3 pathways of working out. Currently I am using their Body weight pathway. With dieting and this program I started out at 211 lbs. I am currently at 199 lbs. and still losing. They also have a dumbbell pathway and a barbell pathway. It's all strength training and paleo dieting. They give you routines for everything with video examples of each exercise. Best program I ever used.
  • CLDeyette
    CLDeyette Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • TudorRose2013
    TudorRose2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    BUMP Great info!
  • H4ppyB1rd
    H4ppyB1rd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just finished the first month of Body by You. I like it and would recommend it too :-)
  • ALittleHazey
    Options
    I've been using a great beginner workout routine, if your looking for complex varied routines, or need videos to urge you on this probably wont work for you.

However if your looking for a simple routine thats easy to follow and includes a lot of compound movements for max calorie burn and muscle development with minimal equipment, this works wonders.

Workout A

Squats
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    2 minutes rest between sets.
    Bench Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Rows
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Triceps Press Downs
    1 set of 10-12 reps.
    Calf Raises
    1-2 sets of 10-12 reps.
    1 minute rest between sets.

Workout B

Deadlifts
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Pull-Ups (or Lat Pull-Downs)
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Overhead Shoulder Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    Biceps Curls
    1 set of 10-12 reps.
    Abs
    1-2 sets of 10-12 reps.
    1 minute rest between sets.

The website suggests A, off, B, off, A, off, off then the next week starting over with B.

I've made a few changes, first of all I dropped the double rest day, and for workout a i don't have a squat rack so i rely on body weight or dumbbells, which is plenty with more reps.
    for workout b, seeing as i still have a lot of weight on the midsection i dropped abs for the time being in favor of shrugs for my traps.
    Other than that, the workout is amazing on it's own, you can't beat deadlifts and squats when it comes to building muscle.

I've also recently added 20 minutes(4k, medium resistance) on my 2nd hand elliptical every day for that extra oomph.