Getting Started - a Marine's Perspective...

Options
First post here, but don't toss what I say aside lightly. I was a Sergeant of Marines, in charge of helping "overweight," Marines to reach the Marine Corps standard. (This was two years ago.) After I got out, I binge ate pizza, stopped physical fitness (good bye six pack) and boom! A year and 1 month later, I weigh 65 lbs more than I did. Talk about depressing, right? Not really... I chose to do this to myself, knowing what would most likely be the outcome. (But GOD I still love Pizza!) Bare with me!

The irony of that still humors me by the way! But I digress...

You aren't losing weight. You don't want to lose X pounds. Those (except for a very small few) are temporary things. People think, well, I won't drink soda and eat candy until I reach my target weight. Or they use food to celebrate milestones (don't do that!) Or they try diets, which almost always fail (except again for very disciplined and self-motivated people.) These are all wrong things to do, to try.

My best advice is to wrap your mind around two (three) words:

LONG-

-TERM

PERSPECTIVE,

or said another way:

LIFE-

-LONG

PERSPECTIVE

I don't mean one year, or two years. I mean a lifestyle change that will never end until you either decide you are okay with whatever happens, happens, or until you die.

Don't eliminate things from your diet forever. The biggest thing wrong with us Americans (sorry if there are out-of-country folk on here! Not quite educated on who all uses MFP.) is our portion sizes. A medium coke at McDonalds used to be a large 10 years ago. Learn to have half that slice of cake, and eat it slowly, really enjoying every second of it. On the road? Do you "have to," eat out? Get a small cheeseburger, small fries and water. For added benefit, don't eat the bread or get it wrapped in lettuce instead!

I saw several posts on here asking for motivation, and ticks and tips and I have a very blunt and cold truth. The only TRUE motivation you will ever find will come from YOU.

(Stealing a very good line [editing it slightly] from 'Till I Collaspe,')

Sometimes you will feel tired, feel weak, and when you feel weak, you want to just give up. Don't! You must search within yourself, find that inner strength, and just pull it out of you - and get that... motivation, to not give up. Not be a quitter, no matter how bad you just want to fall down flat on your face.

The truth is, you control your life. You control if you over-eat on those calories. No one puts a gun to your head and force feeds you. (I do realize some people have medical issues that DO cause this, this isn't directed at them!)

You are NOT losing weight. You are establishing a life-long series of healthy habits to improve your life in ways you see fit (energy, looks, happiness, whatever.)

The problem with motivation is it's temporary.

You need motivation to START on your journey.
You need habits to FINISH/MAINTAIN the end of your journey.

TL:DR, establish a HABIT of eating healthy and exercising. I recommend you incorporate weight training and cardio with a healthy diet to lose weight and build muscle. (Weight training can be nothing but body weight for those who want to tone: calisthenics etc..)

Focus on changing your lifestyle to healthier things. The weight will come off on it's own.

Semper Fi. Sorry if I offended anyone. Add me if you want to be friends/help keep one another accountable. I know a lot about nutrition etc...

EDIT: One final thing. You are beautiful no matter who you are, or what you look like. Don't critic yourself. Love yourself. It will lower your stress and make losing weight easier! :)

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I like this! Welcome to this crazy place!
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love this advice almost as much as I love Marines (which is the reason I read it in the first place)! I couldn't agree more.

My favorite take-away:

"You need motivation to START on your journey.
    You need habits to FINISH/MAINTAIN the end of your journey."

Best of luck to you, Marine!
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Oorah!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Oorah!
    I second that Ooorah!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Hoorah! Great advice!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post and for your service as a Marine.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Well said!
    Welcome to MFP
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

This^
  • MzSmythe
    MzSmythe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great post and great motivation too!
  • ANNAvsANNA
    ANNAvsANNA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    omg can I make a mini clone of you to live on my shoulder and be my coach? seriously :flowerforyou:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    From one Veteran (US Army) to another...... Welcome to MFP.....:drinker:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Brilliant first post.
    Welcome to Mfp and best of luck with your health endeavours.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is a good post and you should feel good.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

This =)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the suck.

As one of those who ended up a fatty while I was in I hope this process gives you new perspective on how you can't just scream at a person until they make weight. This is a physical and mental process.

Good luck and Semper Fidelis!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Welcome and thank you!! :drinker:

My hubby served in the Air Force for 10 years and was in the Desert Storm.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

^^ this :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

Great first post~