working out from home

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Latley I have not had the motivation to hit up the gym by myself. I go 3 times a week with my mother and we do cardio and weight training but the last 3 weeks we've only been going like 2 times a week. She's just been super busy and I've been sick and now she's sick and blah blah blah. So i need to think of things that I can do at home for cardio for the days I'm not going to the gym(like today).
I dont have alot of room to move around in. I don't have any workout dvd's so besides buying a dvd...what are some things you guys can suggest that I can do??

Replies

• I will say it again...NETFLIX!!!
    There are also other on demand sports and fitness channels, dependent upon what kind of cable you have (if any). I stream my netflix over the Wii and the X-box, and I have had SUCH great results (the 30+ pounds...yeah, alllll netflix)
    GL - Sara
  • kbooth
    kbooth Posts: 49 Member
    I took a Boot Camp class one time and they went back to the basics. Think of things you used to do when you were in school and taking gym class...

jumping jacks, jumping rope, running in place, push ups, sit ups, etc. (I know some of this is not cardio, but thought it would help get the point across) You could do other little things like dribbling a basketball while moving around. That might help keep it from being boring or repetitive.

Hope that will help you! Good luck!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    I would get a couple of DVD's - but if not - you can always turn on your favorite music and DANCE! Run up and down stairs, push ups, sit ups, crunches, jumping jacks, jump rope, run in place, get some hand weights and do some shoulder presses.

Oh and check to see if your have FIT TV or Exercise TV on your TV channel lineup or OnDemand (my exercise tv is free on demand).
  • I will say it again...NETFLIX!!!
    There are also other on demand sports and fitness channels, dependent upon what kind of cable oyu have (if any). I stream my netflix over the Wii and the X-box, and I have had SUCH great results (the 30+ pounds...yeah, alllll netflix)
    GL - Sara

WOW!!! You're an inspiration and great advice for us stay at home gymaphobics!!! :smile:
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Get workouts from websites like www.womenshealthmag.com and follow them! Also consider getting a service like Netflix so that you don't have to buy workout DVDs but can use them at home...so much cheaper!
  • I like nerdfitness http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ and it probably would fit into your space.
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    www.sparkpeople.com has some short, free workouts.

http://www.exercisetv.tv/ has all kinds of workouts that are free. You can enlarge them right from your desktop/taptop and workout in 20 minutes or less.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Youtube, your local library, a friend. All great spots to get workout dvds. But besides that, lace up your shoes and get outside. I don't know about where you live but today it is in the 70's here and I'm getting out and enjoying it because the 20's & 30's will be here on Thur & Fri.

Situps, lunges, etc. Those are all things you can do indoors without expense.

Also check with your local churches. We are fortunate to have one close that has a free gym, basketball court, racquetball court, walking track, elliptical, weights, bikes, and treadmills, Check around.

Good luck.

Eva
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    just check out

www.beachbody,com

There are plenty of DVD workouts to chose from and as you can see plenty of people on MFP have great results following their programs.

You might think at first pricey BUT it is cheaper than a gym membership (include gas if you drive there) and/or hiring a personal fitness trainer!

My personal fitness trainer is Shaun T =) I LOVE him so much whether it's Insanity or Hip Hop Abs. Thanks to him, he shaped my body up !

**would suggest to get workouts that are 30 - 45mins long - you will feel like you worked out more and more cal burn! =) I'm a mother of two - 2yr & almost 1yr old. I workout during naptime and/or wake up early in the morning.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    If you have a gaming system, then fitness games are really fun...I am getting the xbox 360 with kinect for xmas, and getting the EA sports active 2. It has HR monitors and everything, so I can't wait to try it out! I also have a treadmill at home, can't stand going to the gym, and really, with what you pay yearly for a membership, you can buy a treadmill....I love having the option to run whenever I want, so it was definitely worth the investment....
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I say turn up the music and dance around. If you feel funny then attach something else to it like cleaning. I don't like cleaning but it makes it that much more tolerable ;)
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    I know you don't necessarily want to buy a DVD, but as a previous poster mentioned, you should really consider it because there are really great and challenging workouts available. My favorite is Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred, and it's available for less than $10 at amazon.com and various stores. You can even download it online. I'm on my second round of it and I've lost pounds, inches and body fat (more than 3% body fat during my first go at it!). What I love about it is that it takes less than 30 minutes a day and you don't need a lot of equipment--all you need is a set of 3 and/or 5 lb. weights and a floor mat if you find that necessary. I also have problems with motivating myself to go to the gym, so this is a perfect solution. Good luck in whatever you choose!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    I 2nd or 3rd 30-day shred with Jillian Michaels. It requires very little space and the DVD is $9 at Target.
This discussion has been closed.