Weight Gain/Muscle Mass via CLEAN eating

Options
Hey guys,

I'm interested in gaining some weight (about 10-15lbs, I'm between 163-165 at the moment, and 5ft11 so I'm relatively thin), and also really interested in clean eating, vegan/vegetarian diets (although I still enjoy meat), high vegetable, and foods that are easily digestible/good for you while providing energy as well as health benefits. I've been successful in putting weight on in the past, but its usually due to a spike in junk food, or stuffing my face to the point of exhaustion/nausea with carbohydrates.

I was over 230lbs up until the age of 18 and have perfected losing weight, haha. Now as I get a bit older I want to be able to put some of it back on in the form of muscle but find most information very confusing, and keeping it on even more difficult.

I'm at a point where I'd really like to put this weight on, but still feel clean and have enough energy to complete semi-vigorous workouts. Any products/tips/websites/mealplans/workouts - ANYTHING - really you could help out with would be great :) i'd like to put this weight on and keep it on.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Why not have a clean surplus (less than 500 cals) rather than eating clean all the time? An enjoyable part of bulking, IMO, is having enough extra calories to 'treat yourself' occasionally rather than keeping it 'clean' so that eating becomes a chore.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary, and if the few days you have logged meet your definition of "clean," you're probably going to be okay. You have lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, along with some treats which will help you keep your calories up. Most people think clean = chicken and steamed broccoli, and it's just not possible to eat enough chicken and broccoli to bulk. You need to be willing to incorporate higher calorie foods to hit your numbers, but it looks like you're okay with that concept.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You know what gives even more energy than "clean" eating...eating more calories! It is all energy.

Get enough cals
    get enough protein
    lift progressively heavier things
    have patience :)
  • paulbeeee
    paulbeeee Posts: 17
    Options
    Alice, thanks! Yeah gaining/building is a new learning curve for me,which is a great challenge. Good to know I'm on the right track - I think I just have to add more to each meal/snack to get me there.
  • paulbeeee
    Options
    chrisdavey, thanks man! the problem has really always been diet and staying consistent with the number I need to hit daily. I'll do all of those things! :)
    appreciate it!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You know what gives even more energy than "clean" eating...eating more calories! It is all energy.

Get enough cals
    get enough protein

I agree! Patience is def needed!

and ice cream.....

Lots of ice cream!
  • helykey
    helykey Posts: 3
    Options
    Hiya,

I am trying to gain weight too - but just want to do it in a sensible and clean way not overload on rubbish!

Any tips are welcome :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Get enough cals
    get enough protein

this!

and peanut butter
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I am trying to gain weight too - but just want to do it in a sensible and clean way not overload on rubbish!

You'll probably find tons of debates about clean and dirty bulks. If you take that concept as "what you eat", it will make it more difficult and probably drive you crazy. It's really more about how much of a surplus over your TDEE (250-500cals) that you should be concerned with and what your focus should be on, in regards to "clean" and "dirty"

That's probably the best advice I can give you. It's a game of trial and error.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Get enough cals
    get enough protein

and ice cream.....

Lots of ice cream!

I would add ice cream + oreo's is needed.

:D
    But yes I third that post.

eat all the things
    lift all the things
    lather rinse repeat.
    get swole son
  • paulbeeee
    Options
    Hiya,

I agree! It's not so much a matter of NOT eating treats etc, I can definitely do that. I'd just rather do it where 75-85% of my diet are really good things for my body. I find I'm someone who's very sensitive to what I eat, so it's preferable for me to eat "clean" (meaning whole foods, non-processed, minimal preservatives, lots of veggies, lean protein, etc etc.)

good luck! thanks for the add, let me know how it goes!!
  • paulbeeee
    Options

Get enough cals
    get enough protein

and ice cream.....

Lots of ice cream!

I would add ice cream + oreo's is needed.

:D
    But yes I third that post.

eat all the things
    lift all the things
    lather rinse repeat.
    get swole son

LOL I'm so into getting swole, but i spent the first 18 years of my life eating ONLY oreos and ice cream so I'm trying to avoid bulk via junk. But I mean, every once in a while I fux with an oreo milkshake :P
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well the thing is- in order to hit marcos and fuel your body- you wind up migrating toward "clean" eating. There is this common misconception that clean eating means no "junk" food- and anyone who says IIFYM ONLY eats twinkies... but most people eat- chicken- veggies- eggs- veggies- eggs- bacon- and all the stuff the "clean" eaters eat- we just dno't harp on it- and at the end of the day- we round out calories with ice cream or beer- or whatever else it takes to fit the bill.

On a bulk- calories are king. So while we all love our ice cream peanut butter and avacodo (although not together- that sounds atrocious)... we still all eat a pretty varied diet of meats and veggies. We just don't cluck about eating clean. (not saying you were- but some people get very caught up on that term)
  • paulbeeee
    Options
    well the thing is- in order to hit marcos and fuel your body- you wind up migrating toward "clean" eating. There is this common misconception that clean eating means no "junk" food- and anyone who says IIFYM ONLY eats twinkies... but most people eat- chicken- veggies- eggs- veggies- eggs- bacon- and all the stuff the "clean" eaters eat- we just dno't harp on it- and at the end of the day- we round out calories with ice cream or beer- or whatever else it takes to fit the bill.

On a bulk- calories are king. So while we all love our ice cream peanut butter and avacodo (although not together- that sounds atrocious)... we still all eat a pretty varied diet of meats and veggies. We just don't cluck about eating clean. (not saying you were- but some people get very caught up on that term)

That's great information! I need to know all the misconceptions! Great tip, thanks! Your explanation makes total sense to me. Thanks again.
  • paulbeeee
    Options
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

This is my thoughts too.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Always eat clean. Never drop your ice cream and pop tarts in the dirt prior to consumption.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options