How much weight loss should I expect to see on this?

Options
2»

Replies

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I went on a crash starvation diet, lost all the weight in a short time, and was healthy and happy without a weight problem for the rest of my life....Said NO ONE, EVER.

Listen, The habits that got you this heavy can harm your health and should be changed, but not changed out for a foolish, self destructive, quick fix scheme that will wreck your health in a new way. And fail in the long run.

The problem isn't your weight. The weight is merely a symptom of a sedentary life and poor eating habits and perhaps an unhealthy relationship with food. THAT is what needs to change, and the outer transformation will come in time. Start eating healthy, exercising, adopting healthy new habits that you can sustain for life. Be patient--you didn't get this size overnight and won't reach goal overnight either.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You know the fun thing about being obese and losing weight? You can do it.... while EATING FOOD! That's right! Us obese people have higher BMRs and burn more moving out large selves around and so we can actually eat and lose weight! Crazy but true. You should look into it, I recommend it ;) AND even when you get skinnier - you can still eat food! Just look at the wild success stories here on the boards.

Don't starve yourself. It's unhealthy, counterproductive and ultimately leads to failure. Respect yourself, your body isn't something to punish, it's something to cherish. It's the only one you get. Treat it kindly.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    This would be considered a very low calorie diet...1,000 kcals? That's not enough for a very petite woman let alone an adult male. You could be hindering your progress by limiting too much. You need to get ENOUGH calories to avoid slowing your metabolism...and also, understanding that we all have busy schedules, start getting physical activity into your routine.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with others that this diet will lead you nowhere good. This motivation you have right now will go away someday (sooner rather than later with this crash diet, most likely). What happens when the enthusiasm runs out? "Only 5 percent of people who lose weight on a crash diet will keep the weight off." I don't mean to be rude, but chances are you are going to keep telling yourself you are different, only to see yourself fail and be a statistic. For what? Short term happiness?

Say you do miraculously get to 180 losing 5 pounds per week. Now you'll be battling loose skin everywhere because your body didn't have the time or nutrients to adjust. And how are you going to maintain this new weight? You haven't learned anything about healthy eating, just NOT eating. How much of this weight was fat, and how much was actually muscle? You'll be slimmer, but you won't look any less fat with all the lost muscle mass.

Here's my proposal: Do it right. Find out how many calories you need to eat to lose 2 pounds a week. Work out your proper macros, and do what you can to stick to them. Eat healthier. The broccoli and celery you mentioned is a good start. Drop any fast food and as much processed food from your diet as you can manage. Learn healthy eating habits you will be able to keep the rest of your life, it'll help keep the weight off in the future. I would personally say drop the shakes for now as well. They CAN help build a healthier body, but work on building healthy eating habits first, THEN consider their value.

Get a membership at the local gym and hit the free weights. Start a workout routine. Rippetoe's Starting Strength is a good one for someone new. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224 Here's a link to a great write-up for the program. It's long, but detailed to help with any questions you may have. Some people are afraid of the gym - if you are one of them, get over it. Take all this motivation you have and get out of your comfort zone. If you can't bear the thought of lifting or working out in front of others, find something else to get your exercise in. Just make sure you eat back the calories you burned off doing said exercise. It way seem counterproductive, but you'll feel more full (you can't beat the hunger pangs forever!), and you will maintain more muscle as you are cutting weight.

It's going to take a long time to learn everything you need to about healthy eating, and the best way to get your body a great workout, but if you do your homework, it will pay huge dividends for years to come!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    (snip) People are losing weight rapidly on DRB, stomach stapling, and likely a few other ways. I realize it's not the ideal way of doing things but it's what I need to do for me. I also realize that SOME are gaining it back and more but there are others that are staying at or close to their desired weight.

If the scale doesn't go down as much as I need then I'll have to rely on other supplements to do the job. At this point, I'm hoping the calorie deficit will do the trick.
    (snip)
    I was really hoping to get an answer to how much weight to expect with the reduction in calories.
    Trader;

I'm guessing that by now you've probably heard the "sermon" enough times to be able to recite it by heart.
    Some of it is "dogma", some based on "questionable" assumptions (questionable in that there are other "theories" with equal scientific "backup"), some "myth" (as the poster before stated), and some, actually just plain "good advice".

In the last category ("good advice"), I would include "5#/wk average really is "unrealistic", and "you really have to look at both your current food consumption "pattern" and that which you "proposed".
    However long it takes you to lose however much weight you do, at some point you will (hopefully) arrive at a point (weight) you will want to "maintain". A VERY large part of the whole diet "thing" is training both your body and your mind to eat in a fashion that will both "satisfy" your appetite and maintain weight equilibrium.
    It's a trite saying but carries with it a large degree of truth that "you'll want to be able to eat this way for the rest of your life".

My "opinion" (and that's exactly what it is - "mine" and "opinion". You know what they say about "opinions are like......" - so take it for what it's worth.

As some others have, I "ran your numbers" and based on 5'8" (my guess) it look like a BMR of 1840 and TDEE of 2210.
    In a previous life I was a staunch believer in the Cals In < Cals Out (CICO) theories and "common wisdom" (I'm less so now, but let's stick to that for the time being since it's the resident "religion" on this board).

Rule of Thumb - 3500 cal/week (500/day) "should" yield ~1 lb/wk loss. So 1000/day ~2 lb/wk.
    2210 - 1000 = 1210 cals/day "should" = about 2#/wk loss.

I'ts important to understand that ALL of these numbers are "averages" and depending on which calculator you use they can vary WIDELY (each uses different algorithms) so this is where your "grain of salt" comes in.

Depending to a very large degree on "which" site you ask, there will also be a large dose of "conventional wisdom" (aka "gospel") - some based on "fact" some, not so much.

One will admonish you to NEVER consume less than 1200 cals/day no matter what (or you'll die, stop weight loss or gain weight, or at least enter "starvation mode" (which is 100% hocus-pocus - all of it, it's total "myth"). Both my wife and I have been consistently under 1000/day for approximately 4 months and we're both still alive, both continuing to lose at "realistic" rates, and both continuing to maintain what we would describe as "sedentary" lifestyles.

CICO will ONLY work though if you commit to keeping accurate, detailed, daily records of weight and EVERY single calorie that passes your lips. A good (as in "user friendly") tracker is essential but it won't work by itself. There are a number of "good" ones out there (all or most "free") and that, plus an accurate bathroom scale, accurate kitchen scale, and a decent set of measuring cups are really ALL you need.

The mantra around here requires also "tracking" Cals Out (exercise). MY "opinion" unless you are a body builder, weight lifter, or spend hours at the gym daily - it's a waste of time (the tracking, not the exercise). Since you have defined yourself as "sedentary" (as would probably the majority) I'm guessing it isn't likely to change much in the near future.

As you probably know, most the sites (and programs) out there are based on "low cal / low fat" diets and their "recommended" meal plans, nutrient goals, and "default' calculations and suggestions all stem from the USDA "food pyramid" "assumptions".

As stated previously, my personal level of "confidence" in that particular "theory" has waned in recent days (despite our "success" using it in a somewhat modified plan).

I don't want to leave the impression that "my way is better than yours", or to further complicate your decision process, so I'm going to suggest you take the various "opinions" you've received so far, into account and map out a plan. It is going to require you "rethinking the 5#/wk" thing, but shoot for 2 or so and keep going.
    Commit to tracking and develop a database of "your" stats, one you can actually rely on instead of all the "guesstimates".

When time permits, take a look at some of the "other" methods that "challenge" the "common wisdom" that everyone "thinks" they "know". There has been a tremendous amount of research conducted over the years (some better than others) and while not totally "conclusive" there is ample evidence that calls the "lo cal, low fat" assumptions into question.

Do your own DD (due diligence) on your own time and decide for yourself. Here's a start:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0GSSSE4l8U

I'm not familiar with "DBR", nor would I consider surgery ("needles" and "white coats" don't sit well with me) but my (or anybody else's "opinion" really doesn't matter - that's a decision only you can make).

Likewise, I'm not qualified (and doubt others here either) to advise on ED but I've seen nothing that would cause me to report you to the local cops in that regard.
    I'm not a "fan" of "supplements" (shakes, powders, etc) and relegate them to the "fad" piles.

Take a couple steps back, reconsider your "goals", and push on for now - the other options will always be there down the road if you get to that point. In the meantime though, grab the proverbial bull, and put your faith in you (not "friends").

It's not about "luck", but I'll wish you the best of it anyway and while "opinions" may differ, this really is a GREAT place to come for "advice", "opinion", or exposure to concepts you may not have been previously aware of - just keep that shaker of salt grains handy and you'll be fine.