Fat on waist - Due to particular food group?!

Options
I know that you can't spot reduce fat from exercise. But i was wondering if carbs or soda or another food group could cause fat to build up on the waist area. My stomach is quite flat with a bit of podge but the fat seems to go right under my breasts on my waist it's really strange! It sort of looks like i have 2 abs but they stick out and are made of fat?! I eat quite healthily i'm about 10 stone 10 so it's frustrating/

I have been losing some weight but it stays there and makes fitted clothes look strange :grumble: Anyone with a similar experience please help :happy:

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    No, not unless there is a calorie surplus and not more so than any other type of food.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately some of us tend to gain weight around our middles, others in the hips or elsewhere. This is something you really can't change. Genetics deals you the cards you get and then you work with it. Losing weight will reduce your tummy bulge however.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's possibly due to hormones. That's why people have fat stored in different places, yours just happens to be there.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    posture, specifically anterior pelvic tilt can also make us thing we are storing fat in the belly.

Also, having built up your ab muscles can make them stick out a bit even if there is a layer of fat.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The answer is no
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Fat gain in a specific area is due to genetics, not what types of food you eat.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you are insulin resistant, then your body will have trouble processing carbs to use them as fuel and will tend to shunt them straight to fat storage...particularly in your abdominal area. This is why women with PCOS have such a hard time losing weight and often find it beneficial to restrict their carb intake. Outside of insulin resistance or other hormonal imbalances though, there's really no reason to avoid a balanced amount of carbs in your diet be they "clean" or "crap." If you are concerned about the role carbs should be playing in your own diet, best to visit your own physician or perhaps a nutritionist.