I really need healthy recipes for thanksgiving.

KierstyPants
KierstyPants Posts: 468 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I'm on my own.
My family will be eating fattening things and if there are any healthier options let me know.
please and thank you (:

Replies

• lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    I'm not sure about the main dish meals....For mashed potatoes I have heard of people steaming Califlower and then mashing it up like you would potatoes...I haven't tried this but I hear it taste like potatoes....
    For desserts...google Hungry Girl...she has tons of recipes for healthier desserts...she has a pumpkin pie recipe that I will be trying! Good luck and you can do this!!!
  • Turkey, squash and vegetables are very healthy.........just in moderation. Have 4-6 ounces of Turkey (like a slice and a half) and then a large spoon of squash and the same or more of vegetables. Stay away from the stuffing. Drink lots of water and say no to the pie:) Happy Thanksgiving:wink:
  • i found a good recipe for pumpkin pie on hungrygirl. and turkey is good for you, just don't deep fry it :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Go to cookinglight.com
    I have used them a lot and everything always tastes wonderful.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I'm making an apple crumble for dessert instead of pie. Making mashed potatoes with Yukon Gold potatoes instead of russets because they have a creamier texture and don't need as much milk, butter or sour cream. I'm making stuffing with celery root, leeks and walnuts. It's still full of carbs of course, but it's delicious! And we'll be having green beans and a homemade cranberry compote.

Thanksgiving isn't inherently bad or fattening. There are a few side dishes and desserts you need stay away from, but ultimately you just need to watch your portion sizes.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Cauliflower mashed potatoes are awesome. Also I have a recipe for some killer cauliflower mac and cheese.
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Keep the portions small and enjoy a bit of everything you really love..don't bother with the dishes you don't...Pumpkin pie can be healthy or you can not eat the crust...apple crisp can be made with whole wheat flour and oatmeal, canola oil...it is one day of the year and it is about sharing good food with loved ones...then you can eat clean and burn it off the next day walking the malls and Xmas shopping!
  • This looks like a healthy alternative to Pumpkin Pie. The recipe was sent out by Taste of Home for us pie lovers. I checked the values with the program in MFP and even without the spices the numbers look true. Hope this will give you a taste of Thanksgiving.

Rich Pumpkin Custard"

8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.

Ingredients

3 egg whites, lightly beaten
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Dash ground cloves
    1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
    1 teaspoon Spice Islands®, All Natural, No Corn Syrup Added, Pure Vanilla Extract
    1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk

Directions

In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger,
    nutmeg and cloves. Add pumpkin and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat
    in milk. Pour into eight ungreased 6-oz. custard cups.
    Place the cups in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; add 1 in. of water to
    pan. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted
    near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or chill.

Yield: 8 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 125 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Turkey without the skin (white meat) Sweet potatoes are good for you if you like those. Just eat smaller portions like you would a regular meal. Veggies are good for you. Don't deprive yourself just eat in moderation and enjoy!
  • The Miracle Mashies by Hungry girl are delicious! They are made of cauliflower and one potatoe. Really low in cals too! You should try them :)
This discussion has been closed.