Fair Food!

Options
I refer to most of it as salmonella on a stick but I have to have an elephant ear or funnel cake. Anyone know what the calorie count is on one of those?? I'm guessing I'll have a massive cheat day in my future.

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If that's your attitude toward fair food, why eat it?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fair nearby?
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    They're like 700-800 calories plus powdered sugar calories so like 750-850 total. They aren't that great anyway, maybe like a bite or two but they are all grease.
  • princess71903
    princess71903 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If that's your attitude toward fair food, why eat it?

I don't eat anything but the elephant ear or funnel cake which can't give me salmonella. I've never eaten any other fair food except maybe an ear of corn.
  • princess71903
    Options
    Do you have a fair nearby?

Actually I have 3. But I only plan on taking my son to one this summer.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I eat before I go to a fair, then after I get home from one. Nothing there is good for you, and it's all expensive. Even better, if allowed, pack a lunch!

That way, you save money -and- calories.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Deep fried Oreos=HEAVEN!
  • princess71903
    Options
    Deep fried Oreos=HEAVEN!

OMG do these exist?? I want one!!
  • MissMariahLee
    MissMariahLee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Deep fried Oreos=HEAVEN!

So freaking good!
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Deep fried Oreos=HEAVEN!

So freaking good!

Oh yes, they are.... and I don't wanna know how many calories in one... lol
  • TXRanchGirl
    TXRanchGirl Posts: 303
    Options
    being in the blessed land of Texas..I have had the experience of attending our state fair..
    I made the mistake..instead of partaking in in a sampling of the oh so delicious-ness that is fried "insert food here" early in the day (we were showing livestock)..I waited til the last saturday afternoon..a record attendance day.

After waiting in line for an HOUR to get a friggin fried oreo, you can bet your sweet *kitten* I enjoyed it..it being ONE..it was yummy...

Oh, I had a chocolate dipped bananna too...

That was the extent of my fair food..its fun to try a small sampling of afew novelties.
  • Brinray
    Brinray Posts: 20
    Options
    Bunch'a no good food snobs.

I'll be the first one in line anytime a small-handed carny is deep frying snack cakes and road scrapings in the back of a disease filled propane tank on wheels. That's good eats right there!

A comment after my own heart (attack). Deep frying makes it safe, right? Those deep fried Twinkies are gonna preserve me from the inside!
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Not as many calories as I thought. About 300 calories. Mind boggling if true. I'm gonna have two next time I'm at the fair. :)

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/funnel-cake
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I look forward to my day at the State Fair all year. I look over the offerings and plan what I'm going to eat throughout the day. Always have to have cheese curds and deep fried apple pie with cinnamon ice cream. I can probably fit in 2 more dishes. I'm undecided as to which 2 from this list:

walleye mac n cheese
    pretzel curds
    some form of alligator
    deep fried baklava
    roti and curry
    hot dish on a stick
    chicken wrapped in waffles

And of course a bucket of sweet martha's chocolate chip cookies to take home.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I eat before I go to a fair, then after I get home from one. Nothing there is good for you, and it's all expensive. Even better, if allowed, pack a lunch!

That way, you save money -and- calories.

Wrong.

Everything is delicious.

Life is too short to say no to one delicious funnel cake.

I will eat all the fair food that day, then go back to what I was doing the next.

What kind of life is it to demonize food and deprive myself of awesomeness?

Btw, I went to the fair last Friday. Funnel cake with chocolate syrup drizzled on it. 800+ calories. I lived to tell the delicious sugary fried tale and I hit my lifting PRs on Monday. *shrugs*
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options
    Considering you don't eat those foods every day, then just enjoy and don't worry about it all. Honestly.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's a once a year thing, enjoy yourself and then the next day go back to normal.

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the greasy salty sugary food orgy that is our annual carnival.
    My indulgences always include:
    - foot long corn dog drenched in mustard
    - spiral fries poutine
    - elephant ear with powdered sugar
    - chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick
    - fresh squeezed lemonade
    - gourmet fudge to take home (usually chocolate peanut butter and maple walnut)
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain me the link between salmonella or no salemonella and funnel cake? I don't get it.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I loooooove fried dough. I only get it once a year. You bet your hiney that I'm going to eat it and have a grand time doing so.

Seriously, it's once a year. Eat your elephant ear.