Low Iodine diet and weight loss

Options
coullmom
coullmom Posts: 133 Member
I have been following a low iodine diet now for 2 weeks. My daughter has thyroid cancer and started her radiation today. For 2 weeks prior to today's appointment and for 3 days into her isolation she has had to be on a low iodine diet. That means no foods from a restaurant, no canned goods etc. Everything has to be homemade, including breads and sauces. It has been really hard because i normally don't cook. What is good about me following this diet with her is that I have lost a few pounds. I don't think it is from not having the iodine, I think it has more to do with not eating at restaurants. there is no dairy on this diet either which probably helps. I did sneak out when she was with a friend to have an ice cream one day........shhh don't tell her. lol Her restrictions on her diet come off on Fri, however she is still in isolation so we won't be able to go out for food, which is good. But she does want me to buy some subs, that is what she has been craving. I think I like making food from scratch and I think this diet has taught me alot about cooking so i look forward to continuing on with cooking at home and continue with my weight loss.

Replies

• AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter is dealing with thyroid cancer, but I'm glad they caught it and that you've been able to find something positive in this! I really love cooking, and it definitely helps me eat in a more healthy way when I do my own cooking from scratch. My husband and I have a really nice arrangement, too--I do the planning and cooking, we split the shopping (we buy from a natural foods co-op and a regular grocery store) and he does the pots and pans (yay!).