Early morning workout inspiration needed!

Options
So I just started my first year of teaching. Work begins at about 7 am , and by the end of the day, I have zero energy for the gym. I need to start working out before work. It would make me feel better throughout the day.Any super early risers who get their workouts done really early? What time do you get up? I could use the inspiration!

Replies

• jennetsullivan
    jennetsullivan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm on nightshift now (ugh) but when I worked dayshift I got up at 4am to get my workout/shower done to be at work by 7. It was difficult - some days downright ridiculous - but I ALWAYS felt better on the days I worked out. And I always regretted it if I missed a day. This was the basic schedule:

4am - Alarm goes off, hit snooze 1 time then get up
    4:40 - headed to gym (biking for cardio)
    5:00am - arrive at gym, stretch
    5:15-6:15am - work out!
    6:15-7am - ride to work, shower, dress

I can tell you that it's a pain, and you have to decide the NIGHT BEFORE - lay out your clothes so you have no excuse. BUT it's definitely worth it!! Good luck :)
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher as well. I wake up at 5:30, and take my (as the previous poster noted) pre-laid-out workout gear to my workout area in the house (in front of the TV). I drink plenty of water and make sure I begin before the six o'clock news starts.

Just as a note; I make my lunch and snacks the night before and have it packed in the fridge ready to grab and go each morning.

Whilst exercising, I watch the headlines, then change the channel over to programmes I've pre-recorded (The Biggest Loser, Extreme Weight Loss, or The Amazing Race). I usually get so absorbed in my programmes that the first thirty to forty five minutes flies by. When only fifteen minutes is left, I go into overdrive and go hard out until my time is up. Five minutes of cooling down and stretching, then it is onto breakfast, shower, getting dressed for school, grabbing lunch and heading off.

I wear my Fitbit whilst exercising, so my goal is to get in at least 8,000 steps before ever leaving the house!

I find that my morning workout energizes me and puts me in a positive mindset for the day of teaching.

You could always adjust the timing to wake at five and give yourself 30 minutes for your commute. (I live next door to my school!)

(Edited for grammar)
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too and I just can't find the motivation and energy to wake up earlier. I usually come home and elevate or soak my feet before working out. It makes me less tense and ached.
  • alcscott77
    Options
    Here is a video that helps me. Be warned there is language. But it is straight talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9jbSUmNDfc

What helps me to do well on early mornings is to have everything ready the night before. My clothes are laid out. My meal is ready to start, my plan for working out is clear. I have the things that I will need after ready to go. That way I can get up, get dressed and do what I need to before I work out, half asleep sometimes. Then I can work out and get my shower afterward and everything is already laid out to go after that.

Good luck and start with small success. Just wake up at the necessary time the first time. Then do something. One morning of getting up and doing it is a 100 percent improvement over the morning before.
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    I'm a mother of super-active 2 year old and 3 year old, so I get up around 4:00 am for 1 hour exercise, lovely shower, house cleaning and breakfast, all before they wake up and unleashed into the wild lol.

Waking up early has made me super productive, and reduced my depression as most of the time everything goes according to my plan and schedule, and I get to spend some quality time with the kids, instead of just watching their busy mother running around all day. And working out early in the morning, means I don't have to stress about exercising later on in the day, when I'm tired, and I don't feel guilty because I don't skip exercise.

Everything is ready the night before (just after I put the kids to sleep):
    - Workout clothes / Clothes after showering
    - Breakfast (washed fruits, prepared my tuna sandwich, made my lemongrass or other herbal tea)
    - Music on my iPhone for my cycling days to keep me motivated and empowered.
    - Other small things so I can find my kitchen and rest of the house organized as soon as I wake up (wash dishes, tide up the gazillion toys off the floor, prepare for laundry days etc)
  • BusyCyclist
    BusyCyclist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I teach as well and when I come home I feel absolutely exhausted. I have never had the will to get up early enough to make it to the gym before work. Plus I don't like carrying all that stuff around all day.

So I do work out DVDs. Simple: Get up half an hour to an hour earlier in the morning, do my DVD, have breakfast, shower, ready for work :)

I did 30 day shred and the results were so great that I moved on to ripped in 30. I have so much more energy during the day, I am less cranky and I can run to catch my train if I have to :D
  • MistyJhones
    MistyJhones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you go to the gym in the morning every day, then you will have to create a lesson plan for yourself and stick to it, with gradually increasing load.

Options
    I get up and sit on my sofa slothing for an hour and half (with pottering doing the washing etc) so have no excuse not to work out other than I just cant be bothered.

but Tomorrow im going to give it a go! I will put on my gear before I leave the bedroom and then I have no excuse!!! watch this space!
  • marise1113
    marise1113 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    How much time do you already put into exercising? If this is a new start for you then begin with 10 minutes at a time and gradually add to it. If you have a treadmill or indoor bike then make use of them. If you can get out the front door for a brisk walk even better.
    Yoga and exercise videos are free right on the internet. If you are already rushed in the morning going out to a gym will only add to the stress of your day.

Being organized the night before will allow you more time in the am. Once you get started in school you may want to consider walking at lunch time.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Changingmyfatitude Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wake up between 5am to 5.30am to workout, I used to do workouts after work in the evening but i have an active social life and hated the guilt of not working out.

At first the mornings were painful but now I am used to it, i feel energised and can always ensure I have got my workout in.

I would rather be tired from an early morning workout than tired of lugging this fat around lol.

On the days when i struggle, I log into my instagram first thing and read motivational posts... cheesy but a few before/after pics generally gets my butt up and out.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    One word: coffee
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I work out from 4-5 AM. I started doing this about a year ago because between work and the family, I never had any time for me. It was really the only time I could find. Anyway, I started out a bit annoyed that 4 AM was the only "me" time I could find, but after a very short time, I realized that I LOVE working out that early!

It gives me energy for the entire day and I feel great when I leave the gym. I am more energized on my workout days (when I get less sleep) than I do on the non workout days. Just do it!
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that commenting on this thread will jumpstart it back into life... the only time I can work out is at 5am and I HATE IT. My energy is super-low at that time of day, and the way my day is structured, working out has to be the first thing I do and I only have about 20 minutes to do so (work out, shower, ice my neck and make my lists for the day, after that the kids are up and I make breakfast/pack lunch etc then out the door to catch my bus and train to work)

Some days I feel as if I barely have the energy to do more than 5 sit ups. I have several options of how to work out: in the basement I have a stationary bike with various resistance settings and programmed routines; I also have a collection of DVDs including the Dailey Method, Brazil Butt, Tony's 10 Minute Trainer, Insanity Fast and Furious, and probably a couple others I don't remember or haven't tried yet. I get bored easily, so I like to mix it up. The biggest problem I feel I have is the time issue. I really am not sure how to maximize the short amount of time I have. And how to stay motivated, as well as energized on those days I'm *really* not feeling it.

Suggestions??
  • woman_of_steele
    woman_of_steele Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 and run (C25K). I used to haaaate it but now I think I actually enjoy it! I get to watch the sunrise, I'm outside, and its usually the only part of my day that I'm alone. Kind of important for an introvert. I have four kids 5,4,2&1. So if I don't do it early it doesn't get done. I plan on getting up even earlier once the time change occurs (earlier?! Who am I even?:laugh: ).
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am and normally do a DVD. I don't lay out my clothes but I do have one drawer with sports bras and workout pants together so I can zombie my way through that. I keep my water bottle next to the sink so it's: dress, fix ponytail, turn on TV/DVD player/insertDVD/press all the right buttons, fill up bottle with ice and water, put on shoes and work out.

Note that I didn't say shirts in the drawer? One great thing about working out at home is skipping the shirt!

I pick a DVD based on number of snoozes. Zero snoozes = 50 minute workout, 1 snooze = 40 minute, 2 snoozes = 30 minute. No more than 2 snoozes allowed.

Once it cools off I'll get back outside and start C25K again, but it's too hot for me now even at 5am.
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling of not wanting to work out in the morning because of lack of energy. It is definitely a battle for me to get out of bed to work out if I decide to do a morning work out instead of afternoon. One thing that helps me is I think about how crowded the gym is in the afternoon compared to in the morning. I some times get annoyed with the fact of there being so many people in there in the evening time. Also if I am needing to do a morning work out and I end up not getting up to do it, I feel really guilty about skipping.
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    O.P. if you need a person to check in with in the morning I'm needing an accountability. I find it helps if I know someone else is checking in with me. Anyone else that is an early riser that needs a morning check in person just add me.
  • mamurray24
    Options
    I'm back to work this week too and my motivation this morning was our boss was buying us pizza for lunch during today's PD...so I knew I HAD to get myself out of bed and get on the bike. There's also a 100* heat index today here in Tennessee, the morning is the only time it's going to happen.

The other thing that is keeping me going--you don't HAVE to do this every day. I'm trying to get myself to get up 2-3 working days. Supplement that with some activities on the weekend (not so early) and you're up to 4-5 days a week!