Fitbit, or wait for Amiigo?

Options

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the rumored Windows smart watch that (it's said) will be similar to the Samsung Gear, with some extras, like continues HR monitor.

"The device will draw on optical engineering expertise from Microsoft’s Xbox Kinect division to continuously measure heart rate through the day and night, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the company’s plans, while the battery will last for two days, roughly on par with Samsung’s Gear Fit."

"Crucially, it appears the smartwatch won’t just tie in with Windows Phone devices, but will also work with both iPhones and Android smartphones."

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2014/05/29/exclusive-a-microsoft-smartwatch-is-coming/
    I refuse to give Microsoft more money than I have too. :happy:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit One not long ago and have nearly lost it 4 times. I wish I had gotten the Flex, but with the pathetic display and lack of stairs tracking, I opted for the One.

I hear they're working on new devices with more tech that much of the competition has now, so I may upgrade sooner than later.

The Amiigo seemed very immature for me to take a chance on it, and as a Linux user, I couldn't find any confirmation of support for Vivofit or any other competitors I looked into. I was able to pair my Fitbit out of the box using the Galileo script on Linux, and sync with it constantly with no issues.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    It now syncs with MFP like Fitbit which was a welcome addition..finally.

Oooooo cool! Thanks for the update. It's funny because Garmin said they had no plans to work on the sync conduit. Do you know, did someone create the process or is it straight forward?
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If the fitbit flex was submersible I'd probably get one now and let the tech evolve for a while. I don't really want the bulk of a watch, (never worn one for any length of time) so the garmin is less desirable and the price point is a little unrealistic for me.

Fitbit has the size and appeal of bracelet style but not waterproof. Garmin has the features but too big and a little too proud of their products. Amiigo is the hot,feature packed concept but it's unproven and apparently unobtainable for even the most adventurous.

I guess I'm a picky *kitten*.
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    If the fitbit flex was submersible I'd probably get one now and let the tech evolve for a while. I don't really want the bulk of a watch, (never worn one for any length of time) so the garmin is less desirable and the price point is a little unrealistic for me.

Fitbit has the size and appeal of bracelet style but not waterproof. Garmin has the features but too big and a little too proud of their products. Amiigo is the hot,feature packed concept but it's unproven and apparently unobtainable for even the most adventurous.

Not sure where you're getting that the Garmin is that much bigger (if at all) than the Fitbit. Here's a comparison between the Force and Vivofit.
    IMG_9142_thumb.jpg
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    It now syncs with MFP like Fitbit which was a welcome addition..finally.

Oooooo cool! Thanks for the update. It's funny because Garmin said they had no plans to work on the sync conduit. Do you know, did someone create the process or is it straight forward?
    It's basically the same procedure as Fitbit to sync the Garmin.
  • MizHunnie74
    Options
    The Fitbit Flex is water resistant, and can be submerged up to 10 meters.
  • PapaChanoli
    Options

Not sure where you're getting that the Garmin is that much bigger (if at all) than the Fitbit. Here's a comparison between the Force and Vivofit.
    IMG_9142_thumb.jpg

Apparently I was flat out mistaken on the vivofit's price point and it's size.
  • PapaChanoli
    Options
    The Fitbit Flex is water resistant, and can be submerged up to 10 meters.

I haven't found where it says the flex is submersible, but that would do the trick for me. Even 3 meters would do.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Neither, get a BodyMedia fit LINK.

Although, if your a swimmer this might not benefit your as much since it's not water submersible.
  • PapaChanoli
    Options

Although, if your a swimmer this might not benefit your as much since it's not water submersible.

Well shucks, I'm still going to check it out. I'm not going spend a dime until my gut tells me I've done my due diligence.
  • PapaChanoli
    Options

Bodymedia lost me with the $6.95 monthly subscription. Their site is pretty vague about it, and if the full functions and benefits of the item aren't accessible without a subscription, I am definitely not interested.

I will explore it further though.

Edit: Yep, they almost had me, but even the app requires the subscription. Not a chance.
  • eternalone88
    eternalone88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did not liek the FItBit at all. I got it and i realized that you have to pay for the sleep tracker and it doesnt even have a heart rate monitor. I traded it in for the Garmin Vivofit and I LOVE IT. Personally it has everything i need Free sleep tracker, heart rate monitor, step tracker, calories burned by steps, miles walked, the date, time. It's nice because it even has an indicator to show me if i been sitting to long and its tellign me to get up and move. I would def recommend the Garmin Vivofit.
  • PapaChanoli
    Options
    I did not liek the FItBit at all. I got it and i realized that you have to pay for the sleep tracker and it doesnt even have a heart rate monitor. I traded it in for the Garmin Vivofit and I LOVE IT. Personally it has everything i need Free sleep tracker, heart rate monitor, step tracker, calories burned by steps, miles walked, the date, time. It's nice because it even has an indicator to show me if i been sitting to long and its tellign me to get up and move. I would def recommend the Garmin Vivofit.

I may have found a barely used vivofit for $40. I had no plans to buy a tracker until the next generation, but at that price, it'll do.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The Flex is submersible. Though swimming is a resistance activity so it's not going to track it well.

I wouldn't buy a Fitbit off ebay or craigslist. A huge percent of these don't work from day one and Fitbit won't replace them unless you bought them from an authorized reseller. And if you did, they will often replace it if you lost it, washed it or your dog ate it.

You may want to check out a Misfit Shine.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Bodymedia lost me with the $6.95 monthly subscription. Their site is pretty vague about it, and if the full functions and benefits of the item aren't accessible without a subscription, I am definitely not interested.

I will explore it further though.

Edit: Yep, they almost had me, but even the app requires the subscription. Not a chance.

If you order direct you get 3 months free, if you get your unit from Costco apparently they give you 1 year free. Either way it's worth it, 7$ a month for the accuracy to monitor my health and progress.. now that's a price I'm willing to pay.

As for the vagueness of the site, not at all actually. When you go to shop and see both SKU's, it tells you the sub cost.

http://www.bodymedia.com/Shop/Armband-Packages
  • jeeplady3
    jeeplady3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3rd Fitbit. The Ultra replaced a Bodybugg I hated. I loved the blue Ultra but lost it at the mall and no one turned it in. I replaced with another Ultra in pink. After a while it stopped holding a charge so I got a One. I love my Fitbit and use it in conjunction with My Fitness Pal. I can't imagine having anything else but a Fitbit and I too, have not heard of Amiigo but wouldn't trade my Fitbit..
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit!
  • rachel865
    rachel865 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not to complicate things more, but a friend shared this with me earlier today. http://healbe.com/#goBe I had been thinking of upgrading from my Fitbit (Ultra) but think I'll wait and see how this goes after launching...
  • PapaChanoli
    Options
    Not to complicate things more, but a friend shared this with me earlier today. http://healbe.com/#goBe I had been thinking of upgrading from my Fitbit (Ultra) but think I'll wait and see how this goes after launching...

Wow. You don't complicate it, you upgraded it.

Thanks for the info. That thing looks like it might be awesome.