When was you "Oh Hell No" Moment

Options
For me it was fall of 2011, after my father passed away. I was at the funeral and everything seemed fine. I got home and one of my nieces posted some pictures from the reception on facebook. I was looking through them and it hit me, "OH HELL NO" that is not me, I am not that big. Well i was that big. I knew i was big, had not been able to use a normal scale in a long time. Well I was over 380 without a doubt, I started losing some before joining MFP, It was not until I ordered the cattle sized scale at home that i was able to find out where my starting point was. So everyone, When was your "OH HELL NO" moment?
8301256527_385cbae4b4.jpg

Replies

• kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I always like these threads, I guess my moment was when I realized that I was moving to a state where you can where shorts all year around and swim at the beach for half of it lol. I put on my shorts just for a try and they all pulled up, but there didn't look good.... So I set my mind to losing weight until they looked good. 40 pounds lost and I'm still going for it lol
  • AllieGeorge23
    Options
    Mine was when it physically hurt to wear my engagement ring - I ended up having to take it off.
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My moment was listening to girlfriends who do cleanses etc and lose 5 lbs only to gain it back. I decided not to say anything and lose the weight.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    A picture someone took of me at my 20 birthday. I look absolutely chubby with excess face fat and arm fats. My features are hidden by the layer of fat on my face.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    For me it was a combination of realizing that I was getting winded just walking up a small hill near our place (having been an avid hiker in years past), and realizing that I wasn't enjoying the taste of food.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My sister's 30th - I didn't fit in to any of my outfits and I didn't want to buy something new because I knew I'd be upset with the dress size. I wore jeans and a t-shirt, had a great time dancing all night and started my weight loss the next morning...
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    For me it was the realization I had developed the uncanny ability to dive over furniture when photographs were being taken, also feeling like I may suffer from a heart attack running 25m = 82ft to catch a bus.

The last straw was seeing a photo that someone had posted on their FB page.
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    My wife and I were looking at some recent pictures taken of us at a party on facebook. I looked and laughed saying something like, look at those poor fat *kitten*. To which she replied: 'Honey, that's me and you.'

Drastic action had to take place.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Stepping on the scale and seeing 250lbs.
  • BeardedMike
    BeardedMike Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've always been pretty fat, but when I started getting that fat neck thing going on, that really freaked me out, although once that went away I lost most of my motivation :/
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I never really thought of myself as being that fat even though I was around 250lbs. I started exercising because I was weak, and it was embarrassing for someone my size to struggle carrying things my smaller friends had no problem with. As I started weight training the fat came flying off, and I thought I might as well go the whole way. It's only now when I look at old pictures I realise how big I really was.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I was in a friends wedding. I knew I had to buy a relatively larger dress than normal but without hesitation I told myself that all these "wedding-related" dresses had to be ordered in larger sizes ... it was the style of dress ... not actually me.

:noway: :noway: :noway: THEN I SAW THE WEDDING PICTURES! :noway: :noway: :noway:

I could NOT BELIEVE that was me ... ME!

I was pretty disappointed in myself and told myself that these pictures were reality and even though life was really tough right now, being so overweight was making it all the more tough.

Started right then and there.
  • FatPanda93
    Options
    Mine was a picture of me holding my baby in front of the church I got married at.. And not to be rude to my mother but I thought "Oh crap.. I look like my mom" Which feature-wise isn't bad at all, but weight-wise, yes..
  • nfpeacock
    nfpeacock Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I was walking down the street one day with a friend and my heart began to 'shudder' and 'clench' some much I had to double over, and I couldn't breathe. I'll never forget the look of panic on her face
  • fejiofor
    fejiofor Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    someone called me an elephant and that was it.
  • BlackScorpion02
    BlackScorpion02 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me it was one night coming out the shower. Pasing the big mirror in my restroom.
    I said to myself OH HELL NO!....I look like a pregnant woman.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I stepped on a scale out of curiosity and saw the numbers 4 0 8. I still can't imagine that I ever let myself go that badly. It made me question pretty much everything about myself. I think it always will.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    When I realised that I started to buy XXXL tshirts and 44" jeans to feel comfortable in. That's a slippery slope.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My ideal.weight was 131-135 for around 30 years. Then one day in 2010, I saw a side view of my waist/midriff in a mirror and was shocked to see a fat pad had appeared. Menopause had redistributed my weight(my weight had not changed). I was now a matronly blob. Oh HELL No! I had to reassess my ideal weight and diet down to 112.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    When I looked at my self in my wedding pictures:sad: ... I looked like I was still pregnant.(I had my child three years ago):noway: :noway:
    Oh hell No!