JumpSnap?

meganlynn1984
meganlynn1984 Posts: 28 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anybody tried the JumpSnap? Its the ropeless jump rope that is supposed to burn 100 calories in 5 minutes? I saw it on Dr. Oz the other day and was wondering if anybody on here has it and likes or dislikes it. Thanks so much for your input!

Replies

• Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Never heard of it but I'm going to google it. I like to jump rope but I'm not that coordinated.......
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Never heard of it, but I suspect you could get the same effect by holding light weights in each hand (light dumbells, soup cans, etc.) and jumping in place...
  • meganlynn1984
    meganlynn1984 Posts: 28 Member
    Well I havent looked at its website entirely yet (my computer is too slow), but I believe it has a digital screen that tells you how many calories you are burning and all that. Again, not 100% sure, but I know it is more technical than just holding weights and jumping.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    You're not going to burn 100 calories in 5 minute by jumping - that's a major marketing ploy right there.

I'm pretty fit, and burn AT MOST 8 calories/minute jump roping. No way you can get 20 calories/minute. Save your money - buy a HRM and a jump rope.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    You're not going to burn 100 calories in 5 minute by jumping - that's a major marketing ploy right there.

I'm pretty fit, and burn AT MOST 8 calories/minute jump roping. No way you can get 20 calories/minute. Save your money - buy a HRM and a jump rope.

Well, the less you weigh the less you burn so it is possible to burn 100 calories in 5 minutes (a 300 pound person would actually burn 114 calories in 5 minutes whereas a 150 pound person would burn just 57).

But I agree, the better investment is a HR monitor.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    I actually have one and use it quite often to supplement other workouts, though it's not my main workout. If I want a 'cheat snack' in the evening, I skip for 10 minutes first. It's a good tradeoff for me. I don't rely on the 'calories burn' mechanism built into the JumpSnap as I find it overestimates, but according to my Bodybugg, I burn about 115 calories in 10 minutes of skipping if I skip non-stop.

I like it for two reasons: 1. There's no rope to trip over, so you can skip uninterrupted without the annoying aspect of the rope getting tripped up on your toes. 2. It does really feel like a real jump rope and the handles come with weighted inserts to make it harder with regards to your upper body.
This discussion has been closed.