Not Losing Weight

Options
I have been on here before and given up as I never lose weight anymore. I have tried to keep a good diary ( and I know that it has only been a short time) but I never even lose 1 lb. It get frustrating. Is there any way someone could look at my log and let me know if I am missing something. I am walking 8 miles a day and eating right and have not lost 1 lb in 10 days.
This also does not count the situps / jump rope or bike rides that I do. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public, if you want us to comment on it.

And read this, if you haven't already: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • bootygroove
    bootygroove Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What is your water intake? Walking that many miles a day you may be holding onto fluid to repair your body, and possible dehydration.also, you are building muscle. Make sure your calorie intake is not too low. Sometimes if you bump it up 100-200 calories you will start losing again. These all have been my own personal experiences. Are you eating back the calories you burn? If not, try it and see what happens. Protein and fluids are two major things you need with that much activity.

Don't give up, keep going forward. It WILL eventually start coming off and you will be amazed.!
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public, if you want us to comment on it.

And read this, if you haven't already: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This.

And it you aren't losing, then you are either holding onto a lot of water or not logging accurately (eating more than you think).
  • Smaller904
    Smaller904 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry,
    I know that is a Faux Paus. Ithough I did make it public. It is now.
  • Smaller904
    Smaller904 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dont think that I am eating them back. I dont understand not eating enough. Please advise. I made it public.
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    lower your sodium intake and drink more water
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think if these goals were calculated correctly you should eat some calories back, some days you have huge deficits which really makes me think your body feels you are in starvation mode even though you are eating well. you just aren't eating enough, and when your body goes into starvation mode, it holds onto your fat.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think if these goals were calculated correctly you should eat some calories back, some days you have huge deficits which really makes me think your body feels you are in starvation mode even though you are eating well. you just aren't eating enough, and when your body goes into starvation mode, it holds onto your fat.

NO. NO. NO. Your body does not hold into fat and neither are you in starvation mode. Jeez, when will people get over this ridiculous lie? Try accurately logging your food and keeping to a reasonable deficit for a few weeks? Then re-evaluate. Be warned, you must be HONEST with yourself for this method to work. Good luck.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? If not, you are overestimating calories consumed.
  • erinem182
    erinem182 Posts: 14
    Options

NO. NO. NO. Your body does not hold into fat and neither are you in starvation mode. Jeez, when will people get over this ridiculous lie? Try accurately logging your food and keeping to a reasonable deficit for a few weeks? Then re-evaluate. Be warned, you must be HONEST with yourself for this method to work. Good luck.

Thank goodness someone gets it.
  • chaotexe
    chaotexe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lower your sodium intake and drink more water

This. Your sodium levels are off the charts on a lot of these days.

Even when I managed to do well on MFP, if I went over sodium (even if I drank extra water to compensate) my weight loss slowed. At the very least it cannot hurt to try.

And log your water intake, unless you're literally drinking 0 cups of water every day (in which case no wonder you're not losing).
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start by logging as accurately as possible.

Invest in a food scale and weigh out your food. Guessing/measuring cups isn't accurate by any means.

If you're not losing weight, then you aren't in a deficit, which is why it's important to have an accurate log of your intake. THEN, you can really begin to look for problem areas.

I also agree, that if you're new to exercise, 8 miles a day (which is ALOT) could possibly make you retain water for muscle repair. High sodium will also make you retain water. And retaining water can EASILY mask weight loss.

Lastly, give it more time. It takes more than 1-2 weeks to lose weight. If you still haven't lost weight after 4-6 weeks of accurate logging, then it's time to look for where the problem lies.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Start by logging as accurately as possible.

Invest in a food scale and weigh out your food. Guessing/measuring cups isn't accurate by any means.

If you're not losing weight, then you aren't in a deficit, which is why it's important to have an accurate log of your intake. THEN, you can really begin to look for problem areas.

I also agree, that if you're new to exercise, 8 miles a day (which is ALOT) could possibly make you retain water for muscle repair. High sodium will also make you retain water. And retaining water can EASILY mask weight loss.

Lastly, give it more time. It takes more than 1-2 weeks to lose weight. If you still haven't lost weight after 4-6 weeks of accurate logging, then it's time to look for where the problem lies.

^Agreed.

I also see no beverages at all in this diary, so that may be another issue. Unless you are only drinking water, you're neglecting to count the calories that you're drinking.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    First things first...there is no starvation mode your body does not hold onto fat from a big deficit...

2nd Sodium eh...whatever, drink some water..I am over my sodium most days and it doesn't affect weight loss that much and if it does it's just masking it with water weight which will go away.

Your diary...

based on entries you don't weigh your solids...how do you know really what your portion size is if you don't weigh it?
    lack of consistent logging...if you don't log how do you know if you are in a deficit?
    some of your entries are whacked...3090mg of sodium for a salad? really? that is a user entered entry and most definately wrong...fat free dressing has 158mg of sodium...chef salad..no way that much sodium.

The other thing is your exercise calories are very high....

So basically you are probably eating more than you think....

To lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit and if you don't lose there is one or two reasons....under estimating intake or over estimating output but since you don't eat back your exercise calories it will be the first one.

So log accurately and consistently for 1 month...weigh solids, choose correct entries, log everything and stay in goal and you will lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets