"I used to eat what I want and not gain weight"

Options
Hmmmmm, I've said that one too many times, and just realized that is entirely untrue!

It just dawned on me the other day that if that were in fact true, I wouldnt have ever gained weight! All through my 20's I never considered myself overweight. I was on average 120-125 and my diet consisted of mainly fast food and junk with no exercise. What I didnt realize was that it would all catch up to me. slowly but surely, 125 became 126, then 127.. and so forth. It creeps on so slowly that you dont even realize whats happening. The weight gain is in such small increments its hard to see any change, so I went about by life as usual eating like I always had. It wasnt until I became 25 lbs overweight that it clicked.... I guess I CANT eat what I want and not gain weight, lol. Wow, I guess Im glad I realized this sooner than later. Can anyone else relate??

Replies

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are very lucky you realize this after only 25 lbs. It took me a bit longer to realize and I feel so foolish I did not get it until about a year ago. I kept thinking it was age related, and there was not much I could do about it. stupid. This is why now I weigh in every day. It tells me when I can splurge a little and when I need to cut it back.
  • DeaxAtra
    DeaxAtra Posts: 1
    Options
    Yep, lol.

Throughout my teens I felt the same way. I hold my weight well to, so I didn't notice the change. Now in my early twenties I've noticed the gradual weight gain and I'm trying to work it off.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are very lucky you realize this after only 25 lbs. It took me a bit longer to realize and I feel so foolish I did not get it until about a year ago. I kept thinking it was age related, and there was not much I could do about it. stupid. This is why now I weigh in every day. It tells me when I can splurge a little and when I need to cut it back.

yes!! many people dont like to weigh themselves, but for me its a must. It keeps me on track. Dont want to ever let it spiral out of control again, lol
  • rynelyse
    rynelyse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Agh! It's the creeping up that gets you! I weigh myself almost daily too-- I know that fluctuations are normal, and I expect them, but too often lately I have been hitting the top of my normal range and maintaining until that number becomes the median. Because it is happening so slowly, I become comfortable with the gradual increase.. I joined mfp yesterday after I stepped on the scale and realized I was "comfortable"/not shocked to see a number that is 15 pounds higher than where I have been maintaining for years!

I was used to my body rebounding quickly as soon as I made a change and I'm SO intimidated by trying to make the "lifestyle change" that is necessary to stay healthy as I get older.

...It makes me want to go back in time and tell my "dieting" teenage self to CHERISH her glorious young metabolism!!!! Haha
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    "I used to eat what I want and not gain weight"

And we used to walk everywhere, were always playing something, moving, and not sitting around. I still eat like I used to without moving like I used to. That kills it for me.

* as I sit at a desk and post this....
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Oh, I can totally relate! I'm 38 now, and outside of my pregnancies, I've always "naturally" maintained a "normal" 125-135lb weight. However, I was always very active and held active, physical jobs.

It wasn't until after my last pregnancy when I became a homemaker and student (i.e. sedentary) that the weight SLOOOOWLY crept on me. I hit 145lbs and thought, "Well, I'm older now, so that's normal, right? I still look good and fit. Oh, well..." Then came 150 a year later, then 160lbs the next year.

Oops! Wake up call! Enough is enough! I clearly cannot "eat what I want and not gain," since what I "want" is more than I NEED. Found my motivation and MFP, and the rest is history!

I can still "eat what I want." It's just a little LESS of what I want. And I move a little more than I used to move! Brilliantly simple:heart:
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I started gaining when I began to eat 3 meals a day. When I was in my teens and 20's I would only eat maybe one meal a day and I was satisfied, never hungry. I got married and had children, and started to eat normal, and the weight came on gradually, I would lose it then gain it all back in a few years time. This is my 3rd time losing the weight and also my heaviest, it's been a long struggle but I'm almost to my goal weight and making sure I will never gain it back and have to lose it all again.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    I can still "eat what I want." It's just a little LESS of what I want. And I move a little more than I used to move! Brilliantly simple:heart:

yup, this is what I meant to say, still eating what I want, just not as much, lol But that extra 2 slices if pizza sure are nice!! oh well, I'd rather look good and feel good long term than just in that moment of eating he extra 2 slices
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Actually I really could (and did) eat as much as I wanted of whatever I wanted when I was in my teens and early twenties.

A combination of slowing metabolism and a steadily less active lifestyle changed that of course, but it certainly was true at one point.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Isn't life so full of revelations? We all think we know everything, until that moment we realize what fools we are...oh well. I don't know any woman in her 30's who believes what she did in her 20s...we change, we grow and we learn. It's all good.
  • jinxiemay
    jinxiemay Posts: 17
    Options
    I get so mad at myself knowing I took my healthy weight for granted and in 2 years gained almost 100 pounds. I just couldn't believe it. Now I'm suffering to get it back off and keep it off!
  • ninav1980
    Options
    Isn't life so full of revelations? We all think we know everything, until that moment we realize what fools we are...oh well. I don't know any woman in her 30's who believes what she did in her 20s...we change, we grow and we learn. It's all good.

yup, I wouldnt change anything either, lol. Live and you learn!
  • wishings
    wishings Posts: 13
    Options
    For me mine wasn't slow at all. I was 108lbs from age 14 to 22. After my first son I actually lost weight and was under 100lbs then once I stopped breastfeeding went back to 108lbs. Then I had my twins and I thought I'd bounce back the same. I didn't. I left the hospital at 125lbs and then it just kept going up. It felt too sudden, but I didn't know what to do about. Breastfeeding did hide it a bit, but as soon as I stopped breastfeeding I gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time. What really sucks was that I actually did eat like ****, but about 20 was when I started eating better. By the time I had my twins I was actually eating better than when I had my first son. Apparently, it can take years for your crappy eating to catch up with you. :/