Healthy Tacos?

2»

Replies

• Make it a taco salad and instead of taco shells, crumble a few tortilla chips or Fritos on top.
  • YES!

Get extra lean ground turkey instead of ground beef and cook it with taco seasoning just like you would ground beef. Also, find whole wheat/low carb tortillas. Tortillas seriously pack on the calories...so you can save BIG time by getting a healthier tortilla. Load up on the salsa...it is generally low calorie and can really add deliciousness. Fat free sour cream is also a great option.

Here is an easy recipe for dip I like to eat with baked tortilla chips or actually put on my tacos:

1 can yellow corn (i actually use a little less than the whole can)
    1 can black beans (i actually use a little less than the whole can)
    1 jalepeno
    1/2 red onion
    1/2 cup cilantro
    1-2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke or some sort of smokey marinade (I use Fabulosa Fajita Marinade)
    8 oz fat free sour cream

Blend or very finely chope the onion, cilantro, jalepeno, and liquid smoke (I like mine a little chunky). Stir in with corn, black beans, and sour cream.

This is 100% fat free and I love it.
    bump
  • Here's what I ended up with. I love love love tacos and I love them even more with ground beef. Since I started this diet, I haven't had a bite of red meat, so I decided to go with extra lean ground beef. Here's what it ended up being:

La Tortilla Factory - Smart & Delicious High Fiber-Low Carb Garlic & Herb Whole Wheat, 2 Tortilla
    Sargento - Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Mexican Blend, 1/4 cup
    Giant Eagle - Extra Lean Ground Beef 95% Lean 5% Fat, 8 oz.
    Old El Paso - Fat Free Refried Beans, 1/4 cup
    Ortega - Guacamole Style Dip, 2 tbsp
    Old El Paso - Taco Seasoning Mix, 40% Less Sodium, 2 teaspoons

The tortillas are so so so good and I can use them for wraps for lunch too. There's only 50 calories per tortilla! Avacados are hard to find around this area so that dip is a good alternative to both fresh guac and sour cream. Delicious healthy dinner!
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    I use broiled fish, and i make a healthy slaw to go with it.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    I use about 1-2 lbs. of lean ground turkey meat and 1 packet of low-sodium taco seasoning. For a soft wrap shell, i use a flat out bread. (cut it in half to two taco shells and that's 50 cals per shell! ). green lettuce, salsa, diced onion, and diced tomato are my toppings. this is a very low-cal meal!! so i usually get a second helping but make a 'salad' where i mix the toppings and meat and leave out the wrap. mmmmmm i love tacos..
  • We use soft corn tortillas (not fried or hard shell) and chicken breast, fish, ground turkey, or lean steak (carne asada)...add some shredded cabbage and a flavorful salsa and serve with rice and black beans. VERY healthy. I skip the cheese now and don't really miss it much at all. The key is a good salsa.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I don't know that there is really healthy options as oppose to healthier options.

I use the low sodium taco seasoning and I use maybe 1/4 of the package instead of a full one, then I add lots of cayenne to it.
    I then add some lettuce and small amount of cheese and fat free sour cream. I avoid salsa since it tends to be high in sodium, especially since some things are higher in sodium already like the cheese.
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    bump!
  • substitute beef for lean ground turkey and rather than using classic taco seasoning mix, opt for low sodium or create your own medley of spices. before eating the meat, drain out any liquids in the pain (this will get rid of a lot of fat, though there shouldn't be much with turkey). replace lettuce with spinach to get a greater supply of nutrients and make sure to add additional veggies. i often make tacos into one large salad instead and add of lot of spice so im less lured by the delectability of the tacos. the spicier it is, the faster you fill up. instead of using sour cream, use fat free or plain nonfat yogurt (greek yogurt will give you a thicker texture) and mix in some fresh herbs. your biggest goal needs to be to opt for a greater vegetable to meat ratio. if you want your own tortillas, trying buying whole grain or multigrain pita pockets, splitting them in half and baking them for a bit if you want an added crunch. hopefully this helps!
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    The fish tacos posted by smuehlbauer sound AWESOME! I'll be trying that soon!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    I use ground turkey instead of beef and season it with the taco seasoning and some hot chili powder / ground red pepper. Then I put lettuce, caramelized onions, tablespoon or 2 of LIGHT sour cream instead of cheese, and some taco sauce. If you use the hard shells you will SAVE A LOT of calories!!! I realized that last time I made them.
  • ichliebelampe
    ichliebelampe Posts: 3 Member
    I am vegetarian so I have always used black beans instead of ground beef. Boca meat crumbles works well too, you can still use taco seasoning for it. A can of black beans works great, mashed, if you want cheese get low fat cheese, I use spinach instead of lettuce, and I use pico de gallo ( tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro and lime juice) and some avocado or guacamole instead of cheese and sour cream.

Even if you want a healthier option for fast food like at taco bell. Get a soft taco substituting beans for beef and fresco style. i think its only 120 calories or something like that.
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    I use organic or make raw salsa. I buy Organic lean beef or Laura's lean beef. It's very low in fat. She doesn't use antibiotics or hormones in her beef. I usually get Garden of Eatin' baked blue chips or Tostios Natural Organic blue chips.
    I use fat free or lite sour cream. Leave off the cheese and eat them like a salad or nachos. You can put onions, organic ground pepper seasoning, organic garlic...plus top them with romain lettuce chopped or shredded/ tomatos, onions...etc..even shredded carrots are good on this. This choice is endless. They are low in fat and low in calories.
This discussion has been closed.