Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight loss, but not happy.

Hi everyone.

About two years ago, I lost about 10 lb. This was because I cut wheat out of my diet. I am still trying to figure out if this was a bad decision on my part. Have I been officially diagnosed with a wheat/gluten intolerance? No. I found I had less congestion, sinus issues and nausea when I no longer ate wheat. I also found that I struggled with mild depression when I consumed it.

Now I am fully aware that many people have had the same issues when they consumed wheat, but my issues could be entirely different. I'm in the process of figuring that out. However, the problem is that I'm not at all happy with the way I look and the way I feel. I recently looked at a photo of myself and I just look so super scrawny. Bony. Old.

I want to start a regular exercise plan, but definitely do not want to lose any weight. As far as my diet goes, I would be a very happy person if I could incorporate wheat back into my diet again. I just don't want to feel like crap.

If anyone has had a similar experience, I'd love to hear from you.

Replies

• AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    I have also self diagnosed with a gluten allergy and feel it has changed my life. I do not need a doctor to tell my that me and gluten do not get along. But if you want to add wheat back, then go for it and just see how you look, feel and perform. Let that be your guide.

Have you thought about weight lifting? It could help make you look less bony. As you build some lean muscle, I bet you look more youthful also.
  • Thanks for your reply. I self-experimented about 4 days ago by adding some oatmeal back into my diet. It did not agree with me, and I'm having the same symptoms as I usually do. Therefore, I think it's best to just forget it once and for all.

I will take your advice and start some weight training at the gym. I used to love it, now it's time to rediscover that love.

Thanks again,

L.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Thanks for your reply. I self-experimented about 4 days ago by adding some oatmeal back into my diet. It did not agree with me, and I'm having the same symptoms as I usually do. Therefore, I think it's best to just forget it once and for all.

I will take your advice and start some weight training at the gym. I used to love it, now it's time to rediscover that love.

Thanks again,

L.

Oatmeal doesn't contain wheat.or gluten. So...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i'm not sure what not eating wheat as to do with you not being happy about how you look?

Gain some weight back and start doing some strength/resistance training.... neither of those things involve consuming wheat.
  • Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
    Hey there. I look a bit bony and old as well. Thats why I've started gym and doing some strength exercise. That's my problem is I didn't use my muscles while I lost fat and probably lost them too!

I don't know about you but perhaps you can build a little muscle and that would make you look a bit better. :smile:

I'm not suggesting heavy lifting, just some resistance will help, but if you fancy making men look bad then by all means :tongue:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hey there. I look a bit bony and old as well. Thats why I've started gym and doing some strength exercise. That's my problem is I didn't use my muscles while I lost fat and probably lost them too!

I don't know about you but perhaps you can build a little muscle and that would make you look a bit better. :smile:

I'm not suggesting heavy lifting, just some resistance will help, but if you fancy making men look bad then by all means :tongue:

why not lift heavy?
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    If you want to put on weight, eat more protein and eat some fat. You don't need to eat wheat to put on weight. Beef up a bit with exercise and protein.
  • Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member

why not lift heavy?

Like I said she can do it if she'd like. I said it like that because I know some girls who don't like it. And they laughed at me for wanting to try :grumble:

But me myself, I need to master my own weight first before I can start HL.

ETA: Because I can't even lift myself yet. :tongue:
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Oatmeal is from oats, not wheat. :/

You could also try yoga. it's good for the body and the mind.
  • Thanks for your reply. I self-experimented about 4 days ago by adding some oatmeal back into my diet. It did not agree with me, and I'm having the same symptoms as I usually do. Therefore, I think it's best to just forget it once and for all.

Thanks again,

L.

Oatmeal doesn't contain wheat.or gluten. So...

When the packet says it does, then my guess is it was processed on the same line as something else. I didn't have pure oats, I opted for the cheap prepackaged kind.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    I don't know about the wheat but I too noticed that when I lose more weight I look deflated, like my face is more skeletal and lacks that youthful plump.
    The two things I do to fight that are eating a lot more fat (about 20-25% of my diet) and staying hydrated.
  • Oatmeal is from oats, not wheat. :/

You could also try yoga. it's good for the body and the mind.

Fully aware of that. Cross-contamination was what I was referring to.

I have signed up for yoga classes (beginner, of course). I've heard many good things about it.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    I have a problem with pre-packaged oats also. Mine is from sugar. They add all kinds of stuff to the pre-packaged, at least in what we can find around here. So get some quick oats-how hard is it to microwave a couple minutes-not much harder than heating up water for pre-packaged stuff.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member

why not lift heavy?

^Weight training, heavy lifting was one of the best decisions I have ever made concerning my health/appearance. Don't let the words "heavy lifting" scare you. Just lift heavy for YOU...whatever that weight may be. Free weights are better than machines, dont under estimate yourself. I never thought I would enjoy working out with a barbell, and it is now my favorite thing.

I wanted to add, I tried the "just a little resistance thing", and I had no results. You have to challenge yourself
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    I agree with some of the others. Eat more fat. Lift heavy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    i'm not sure what not eating wheat as to do with you not being happy about how you look?

Gain some weight back and start doing some strength/resistance training.... neither of those things involve consuming wheat.

eat more- and lift.

that's how you gain weight.

wheat does not have to ever be a part of the conversation.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Easy - hit the weight room and eat more :)
  • i'm not sure what not eating wheat as to do with you not being happy about how you look?

eat more- and lift.

that's how you gain weight.

wheat does not have to ever be a part of the conversation.

Will do :)
  • uk086242
    uk086242 Posts: 2 Member

why not lift heavy?

^Weight training, heavy lifting was one of the best decisions I have ever made concerning my health/appearance. Don't let the words "heavy lifting" scare you. Just lift heavy for YOU...whatever that weight may be. Free weights are better than machines, dont under estimate yourself. I never thought I would enjoy working out with a barbell, and it is now my favorite thing.

I wanted to add, I tried the "just a little resistance thing", and I had no results. You have to challenge yourself

This post * 240,000,000. Fantastic advice in my (unqualified) opinion. :drinker:
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member

why not lift heavy?

^I agree with this. I've gone from dreading long cardio workouts and dabbling with "the machines" at the gym and was starting to feel burned out. Started lifting heavy and now I am excited to go to the gym at 5am and hate rest days.